Cart #simon_says_v1-0 | 2023-02-02 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | License: CC4-BY-NC-SA

Simple little game made in a couple of days as a mini project. Use the arrow keys to mimic the pattern - challenge yourself with four different difficulty settings, or see how far you can go in endless mode.

You can change the speed in the options menu if you find the default speed too fast or slow. You can also turn off the multicoloured text animations if you want.

Technically my first finished and submitted cart (I've got another one sitting that I'd consider my actual first cart, but I've still got some UI to finish in it). Also, apologies to those reading through the code - it's in one big lump, not super commented, and obviously far from perfect. This was just an impulsive little project I started a few days ago and I didn't fret over programming it in an optimised manner; there's definitely things that could be cleaned up if I were making something bigger where I'd be more inclined to put the effort in. But, hey, I finished it, and it works. So enjoy :)

P#125201 2023-02-02 20:45 ( Edited 2023-02-02 20:48)

@tinysorcerer:

I haven't checked your code. If you haven't yet done so, when you get up to playing back 8-patterns or so, speed up the playback from the computer slightly. Always try to fit the playback within 2-seconds or so.

You could add a harder mode where when the computer plays back, it only plays back the new note - yet the player must play back all the notes correctly. That's harder for the brain to remember and more challenging. :)

Another mode would be where the player must play back the sequence BACKWARDS from what the computer played. So if it was LEFT, UP, DOWN, the player would have to press DOWN, UP, LEFT to stay in the game.

These are just a few creative ideas for SIMON as the gave has been out almost 50-years now and there have been many many versions including mini-games in modern videogames today. Dance Dance Revolution comes to mind.

Other than that your game works great, you have distinct goals to win at, short, medium, long.

Despite how many iterations of this game have been out for a myriad of systems, you deserve a gold star for this as it's the best I've seen for Pico-8 to date. Nicely done !

P#125204 2023-02-02 22:14

Simon Game is cool!

P#125251 2023-02-03 20:49

@dw817 Thanks for the feedback, and for the different game mode ideas. I particularly like the idea of a 'silent' game mode where it only gives you the latest note. I agree as well that it'd probably be good to speed up the playback as you get further along, but at least the option to change the speed is there. If I ever mess about with this again, I'll definitely have a go at implementing some of these.

And thanks :) It's a simple little cart but I appreciate it

P#125268 2023-02-04 01:15

[Please log in to post a comment]

Follow Lexaloffle:          
Generated 2024-04-16 17:38:22 | 0.035s | Q:23