Cart #jd_dice_wip-0 | 2022-10-16 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | No License

So I've started working on this. It's still very early and I've only got some of the UI elements and the very beginnings of procedural generation in place but I think there's enough to make it worth sharing.

Controls

While moving around:

• 🅾️ to switch to the ability selector. (Coloured boxed bottom-middle)

In ability selector:

• 🅾️ to select highlighted item
  • ❎ to cancel

Choosing 'END TURN' pulls up a 'Dice Selector' menu which doesn't do anything yet.
Press either ❎ or 🅾️ to dismiss it.

Notes

• Actual movement in the game will be tile based but I wanted people to be able to zoom around the big empty levels fairly quickly for now because it's not like there's much to see.
  • At the moment the levels are just a big loop of straight, boring grey hallways surrounded by blackness but eventually room will be able to expand into the available empty spaces, there will be locks, keys, enemies, puzzles, etc.
  • The mini-map may or may not be in the actual game but I wanted to give an overall idea of the shape of the generated levels.
  • The green square in-level is the level entrance and the red one the level exit. Nothing happens yet when you get to them.
  • The stats on the bottom left are hard-coded and don't do/mean anything yet.

I'm trying my hand at procedural generation using graph re-writing. There's a fairly straight-forward summary of the process here for anyone interested: https://www.boristhebrave.com/2021/04/02/graph-rewriting/

This version isn't actually using re-writing yet which is why all the interesting stuff is missing from the level. It's just a graph with a basic loop. I've got the system written and—I think—working as expected so next steps are to start testing some rules for slightly more interesting levels to shake out all the bugs and then take it from there. Oh yeah, and all the actual game mechanics. Those will probably help too.

P#119177 2022-10-16 15:21

Pretty good start, @jasondelaat.

I especially like the auto-mapper. We need more scrolling games with these. I'm curious to see this cart develop.

P#119178 2022-10-16 15:42

is this still being worked on?

P#128751 2023-04-19 16:38

I got hung up a bit on the proc-gen and after taking some time off, jumping back into that mass of code is a bit daunting. I still intend to keep working on it but I'm working on something else at the moment.

So the short answer is: not at the moment but I haven't forgotten about it.

P#128757 2023-04-19 17:48

[Please log in to post a comment]

Follow Lexaloffle:          
Generated 2024-04-16 16:10:37 | 0.025s | Q:20