Cart #guzonawasi-10 | 2022-09-20 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | License: CC4-BY-NC-SA

-Tumbleweeds you miss will pile up to the left, filling the screen and cutting of your space to move. The game ends when tumbleweeds fill all the way to the right.
-Hit shots without missing to fill your combo meter and get score multipliers.
-Shooting quickly will lower your accuracy. Let the recoil go down to stay accurate.

This game was created as part of Lazy Devs Academy's Basic Shmup Showcase.

I made this game to try and break some of the conventions I often see in the shmup genre. The combo system rewards accuracy over holding down fire the entire time. The low visual clutter aids comprehension, and the theme and setting offer a bit of variety to a genre full of ships shooting other ships.

Consider supporting my game on itch.io.

A huge thanks to those in the forum and discord who have offered advice and help. I couldn't have done it without you.

P#117683 2022-09-20 10:02 ( Edited 2022-09-20 10:33)

Hi @ericstone111:

I really do like the character choices, but what ? No astronaut ? :)

Might I suggest though that if the tumbleweeds managed to span all the way across from left to right that the game is over.

Will give the player incentive to not let them stack up.

Overall though, good game, gold star work.

P#117696 2022-09-20 14:47

This is pretty spiffy! I like the concept and you've put it together well. I like the randomness-ish of the tumbleweeds as they pile up, so that it's not just in a straight rows.

I didn't play long enough to see if there are different levels or not but seeing that cow skull made me think if having obstacles would be a good challenge as you pass levels...or something like that.

Really dig all the character choices too...they'd be good unlocks! Good stuff, man, well done for your first game. Keep exploring. I think there's a lot of meat on the bone here.

P#117697 2022-09-20 14:48

@dw817 if the tumbleweeds stack all the way to the right the game does end (if sometimes takes a few extra seconds, depends on the collisions a little bit).

The roster was like, double the size at first, but I had to tone it down to something a bit more reasonable. Astronaut would be good for sure though.

Thanks!

P#117705 2022-09-20 16:58

@morningtoast thanks for the comments! Just the one level, but tumbleweeds tend to spawn a bit faster and more frequently as time goes on, until eventually they're too fast to handle and they pile up, cutting you off. So the obstacle concept is there, just a bit differently than you described.

Thanks!

P#117706 2022-09-20 16:59

nice first game!

on the bbs, when you have a new version of a game, you should edit your original post and upload the new cart. note that you can start a game in the work in progres section then move it to releases. (you can also keep older versions accessible inside a spoiler tag if you want, but that’s not required.)

if you always put tumbleweed as the cart ID, then the bbs will automatically add -0, -1 etc. for versioning. in the lists of posts/games on this bbs and in splore, people will see the game just oncen, and get auto updates if they come back after a new version is released.

P#117739 2022-09-21 00:21

Ah, I didn't know you could move from WIP to releases. Will do that in the future. Thanks!

P#117743 2022-09-21 02:08

Nice shooter game!
Although I could get the basic of the game, I find it boring quickly. Sure, the stacked tumbleweed will grow in size and reach the right end eventually but I would be dead by boredom when it happens.
IOW you need something different to change game's pace over time. Something like tumbleweed which moves diagonally.

P#117797 2022-09-22 14:03

i was checking another tab and then i came back

P#117798 2022-09-22 14:34

[Please log in to post a comment]

Follow Lexaloffle:          
Generated 2024-03-28 21:29:46 | 0.042s | Q:32