Cart #escape1kjam-0 | 2022-09-12 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | License: CC4-BY-NC-SA

This is my entry for the 2022 PICO-1K Jam.

Your home planet just exploded but your family was lucky enough to get on an escape pod and blast off just in time...but the explosion shockwave is right on your tail! Avoid the oncoming meteors while collecting energy crystals to power your shields and boosters. Be careful! When you slow down the shockwave gets closer.

This is a one-button dodge'em game. Press any button to stop your escape pod so you can avoid meteors and collect energy crystals. But don't wait too long or the shockwave will catch up to you!

How many crystals can you collect?

Catching an orbiting blue crystal will power your shield and let you survive one collision with a meteor.

Scoring is how many crystals you can collect. You get 1 crystal for each orbiting and 2 for each meteor you ram into.

-=-=-=-=-=-

Overall, I was pretty happy with what was able to be crammed into 1K of space. Certainly not on par with some others but for me this was a big step forward. There are even a few sounds! LOL - I was also pretty happy with how it looks considering there are no sprites used, just shapes and fills. Works pretty well on mobile too, FWIW.

It's a good prototype with a solid mechanic, so it might get more development down the road.

P#117274 2022-09-12 14:29

Good game, @morningtoast, but a little tricky to read your score as when you die it resets immediately.

Might be interesting if @zep made BTNP() and BTN() not just functions but commands so BTNP() all by itself would freeze the action until a key is pressed.

This would do 3-things.

1. Determine NO button is being pressed before continuing.
  2. Determine ANY button is being pressed before continuing.
  3. Again then NO button is being pressed before continuing.
P#117278 2022-09-12 16:00

If your score is a session best then it does show it in the corner. If you don't beat the high then it doesn't really matter. Chase your best score! I think my own best is like 25 or something...it can get tough once you boost a few times and things speed up.

If this gets further developed then there will be a lot more things added (or removed) to make it more balanced and nice, but for a 1K game I'm pretty satisfied.

P#117284 2022-09-12 17:02

Oh okay I see my high-score now, @morningtoast. Score of 8 and that was me really working at it. Neat, gold star work !

P#117292 2022-09-12 18:51

High score 31. Fun game!

P#117695 2022-09-20 14:45

Once I worked out what I needed to do, this was a great game.

P#117702 2022-09-20 16:26

[Please log in to post a comment]

Follow Lexaloffle:          
Generated 2024-03-29 08:30:40 | 0.014s | Q:24