MANIC CTF

Cart #king_swood_manicctf_1_1-0 | 2022-08-20 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | License: CC4-BY-NC-SA

Controls

Player 1 (orange) - ESDF
Player 2 (blue) - Cursor Keys

Gameplay

A simple multiplayer button-mashing game where the aim is to capture the flag from your opponent and hold onto it for the duration of the round.

If the flag is dropped, just run over it to pick it up.

If your opponent has the flag, run into them to steal it from them.

A player must hold onto the flag for a total of 15 seconds to win the round, and the eventual winner is decided by 2 round wins out of a possible 3.

Starting positions are randomised each round.

Behind the scenes

This started as a way of playing with pico-8. I wanted a small concept game to play around with.
I was originally trying to write "OO Lua", but I rewrote it after it became way to cumbersome.
The code has ended up being a bit of a mish-mash of styles, but I decided that I just wanted to finish the game and make it fun.

The original game was 90% completed using stick figure characters, no music, etc.
Once the gameplay was all done, I went back and made the sprites nicer, added some simple sound effects, etc.

The biggest improvement to the look of the game came when I added a dark outline to the sprites. This makes them pop out nicely. I'm also happy with the title screen, where I've just zoomed the sprites and have them playing their normal animations.

Credits

A solo project.

Inspiration for the handling of the 8x8 grid, and several other game structures, came from dylans' "coin thief adventure".

P#116003 2022-08-19 01:52 ( Edited 2022-08-20 05:38)

Shows promise, @king_swood. You might add other things like power-ups.

Shield, activated with 🅾️ or ❎ and prevents opponent from taking flag for a short while.

Speed, gives that player a speed boost. You would need to lose the grid-movement and go to smooth movement.

Teleport, allows the user to teleport to a random location.

Steal, automatically steals the flag from opponent.

Throw, allows the player to throw the flag so it cannot be stolen from them.

Paralysis ray, allows the player to shoot a beam to temporarily paralyze their opponent.

Walls, have a wall arrangement possible so a player is not just on an empty field.

There are many possibilities.

P#116006 2022-08-19 02:56 ( Edited 2022-08-19 02:57)

Thanks dw817.

Those are all good ideas, although once you're playing multiplayer it gets pretty frantic without any additions ;)

If I was to add anything at this stage it would probably be a single-player mode.

P#116007 2022-08-19 03:26 ( Edited 2022-08-19 04:13)

I like the game, but it bugs me how player 1 controls player 2, and vice versa (the time remaining for player 2 goes down when the person playing as player 1 grabs the flag)

P#116097 2022-08-21 14:28

Thanks MrAwesome. I think that's fixed now.
Player 1 now uses ESDF, and Player 2 now uses cursor keys.
This means the score now matches where the players sit at the keyboard.

Thanks for the feedback :)

P#116121 2022-08-21 23:51

[Please log in to post a comment]

Follow Lexaloffle:          
Generated 2024-03-28 19:45:59 | 0.019s | Q:23