Cart #ssorbcart-0 | 2022-07-11 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | License: CC4-BY-NC-SA

Hi,

This is a game I made for a 72 hour Game Jam on itch. The theme of the game jam was "music" with the limitation being "gravity is under your control". People seemed to like it, so I thought I should post it here as well.

At each of the large planets there is an alien that sings a tune. By playing the tune correctly you earn a new ability that will help you get to other planets. If you complete all 4 songs you can finish the game by visiting the final large planet. There are also optional pick-ups to collect.

I actually have a handful of unpublished Pico-8 games as well, but I'll space them out so they get some room to breath and don't clog up the BBS.

EDIT: Here is some missing instructions about the music part. In music playing mode the arrow keys become music keys, with each of them representing one tone. If you hold X while in music mode, the arrow keys will shift up 4 tones to complete the octave. Whenever you press or release the X key the shift will wait for you to change which key you're pressing before shifting.

P#114201 2022-07-11 19:21 ( Edited 2022-07-12 05:40)

Cool game ! Unusual gameplay, lovely presentation and artwork. This looks great.

From what I saw this was a very intruiging game. However I got to the second planet and really struggled to do "combo" key presses (using a desktop). Left and X often just resulted in left. Is this just my inability to press 2 buttons at once (I think it probably is) or is this game better suited to gamepad controls?

I'm going to keep plugging away at this game though. Looking forward to seeing your other games too.

P#114207 2022-07-11 20:31

I played all songs on Desktop, works really well. Cute game, I like it!

I managed to visit all planets, however I couldn't figure out what left and right keys actually do to the space ship. I ended up using gravity to get to the other planets.

P#114210 2022-07-11 21:03 ( Edited 2022-07-11 21:06)

@phil : I had trouble entering the combinations too. I found it was more reliable if I held down the X key before pressing the arrow.

Did have fun and collected all 12 pick-ups.

Looking at the source code, I think there may be a problem in the order that the value of oct is assigned and applied:

if btn(⬆️) then
  sfval=4
 elseif btn(⬅️) then
  sfval=5
 elseif btn(⬇️) then
  sfval=6
 elseif btn(➡️) then
  sfval=7
 end

if sfval>0 and oct then
  sfval+=4
 end

if sfval!=lnt then

if oct!=btn(❎) then
   oct=btn(❎)
   if sfval>0 then
          if oct then
           sfval+=4
          else
           sfval-=4
          end
      end
  end
 end

P#114212 2022-07-12 00:31

@phil @Cowirrie
I forgot to include a description for the notes even though it was part of the itch page description when I made it. I added it to the original post now.

The reason I made it wait for the next note played was so it wouldn't change the note you were already playing when pressing or releasing the X button.

P#114219 2022-07-12 05:46

@kerneliron and @Cowirrie Thanks for the tip about holding X down. This makes it much more playable.

A beautiful game. Fun, relaxing and enjoyable

P#114225 2022-07-12 10:01

Cool game! Very zelda-ish, with action broken up by music. This was a really cool idea, and the gravity mechanic was a ton of fun too. Really cool.

P#114227 2022-07-12 12:23

[Please log in to post a comment]

Follow Lexaloffle:          
Generated 2024-03-28 17:08:09 | 0.053s | Q:29