Starting With Basics:

Right off the bat I got used to the environment. Seeing all the different menus, EVERYTHING IS CAPTIAL, where code goes and general feels. I really do like the aesthetic of the whole environment. Than I began like anyone does with going to YouTube and typing pico 8! Coming from C++ and Java the set up was interesting to learn. _Init, _Update and _Draw are all different functions to put certain other functions in, how crazy! With the tutorials I learned basic of variable setup and making shapes on screen AND MADE MY FIRST PICO 8 PRODUCT! I call it .rainbowshape which just creates a rainbow shape go figure:

<- Wow now that looks cool I think...
✨✨✨✨rainbowshapes✨✨✨✨

Sprites Are Hard

With the basics underway I began tutorials on 2D sprite movement and notice how bad I am at pixel art. Granted I have never done it before but trying to draw a little guy is harder than it seems. I have to think about size and shape? What if I want to make an octopus, how do I do draw that in 8-bit??? BUT with some more practice I actually made a little Link's Awakening prototype.

I think going from the tutorial of one little guy to a whole little link is an improvement in my eyes for only a week!

What the tutorial taught me

What I created using the tutorial

Closing Remarks:

Overall I think this will be the start of something I find neat! My next plan is fixing the weird movement in my Link game. For some reason he jumps back and forth many spaces when pressing the button again. But my overall plan is making one decent game by the end of summer break and hopefully fulfill that goal? Whatever the case I know I'll be screaming a lot along the way wooooooo!

Until next time,
See yah! See yah!

-Wafflet 🧇

P#112084 2022-05-20 20:57 ( Edited 2022-05-20 21:00)

Awesome! ya _init _update (_update60 for 60fps, but only 1 _update at a time) and _draw are all called by pico internally to handle the gameloop for you,
And ya sprites can be a bit hard (8x8 can really be challenging!) but just like anything keep at it and you'll get the hang of it, I find drawing on paper and doodling for years has helped out though not all of the drawing transfers over into sprites.. but still helpful

P#112088 2022-05-20 21:34

Welcome to the fun! Sprite art is rough...but thankfully there are a TON of gifted pixelers out there to learn from. There's no shame in cracking open a cart and borrowing sprites while you develop. I do it all the time and then replace it with my own. Or heck, just ask the author and you might just be able to use them in your game - just give them credit. I've done that too!

I guess it depends where you want your pride to lie. It does feel great when you've created every aspect of your game, but often I find myself just being happy that I was able to design a game that is entertaining and get it finished, even if I didn't make all the sprites or music. One great thing about PICO8 is the ability to sneak a peek at how others made their code and art. The community here is great and always happy to help so take advantage of it.and music.

P#112095 2022-05-21 03:50 ( Edited 2022-05-21 03:51)

Learning Pico 8 opens up a world of creativity in game development with its simplicity and powerful tools. From coding to pixel art, it's an all-in-one platform for aspiring game designers. However, if you're overwhelmed with academic assignments alongside your learning journey, consider seeking help from professionals at https://edubirdie.org/. They offer essay writing services that can free up your time for honing your Pico 8 skills and unleashing your game-making potential.

P#141416 2024-02-12 01:59 ( Edited 2024-02-22 05:20)

[Please log in to post a comment]

Follow Lexaloffle:          
Generated 2024-03-29 10:06:50 | 0.007s | Q:15