Cart #random_doors_generator-8 | 2021-03-05 | Embed ▽ | License: CC4-BY-NC-SA

Student asked about how to make random doors spawn in a room.
I used emitter to emit inventory items and then have doors check for inventory item id.

I added a bit of a gameplay so it makes more sense and works as a game a bit better.

Will try to record tutorial later.

P#88498 2021-03-04 00:14 ( Edited 2021-03-05 06:19)

Hey this is a nice resource to learn from, but im having trouble with the inventory hud.

A lazy copy-paste works fine, but when trying to assemble by hand and using every single component and value, my hud still wont hook to health, it just acts like a collectible.

I have a pickup 'heart' with an;
animation -> prop
inventory -> animations enum and capacity
i alias the inventory item with CTRL+M and then CTRL+V in my player

this works when i take your (jelly bit) health and alias the inventory into other actors, but when re-creating by hand it never hooks health, and no other triggers or objects seem to be around.

I have even tried saving your pickup as a vob and import into a new project and your pickup works, but again, when trying to do it by hand copying all values and sizes of props, positions/dimensions and colors, it just does not seem to hook health.

Could you please help to explain how this aspect works since there is no documentation for any of it?

P#111577 2022-05-09 19:49

@alphaqueueop
Let me see if I could help.
I am a bit unclear on what exactly are you trying to do?
Are you trying to make a custom inventory object?

P#111578 2022-05-09 20:10

yes i am trying to make a custom inventory object, and i think i am missing a crucial step or something, as two things happen when i try to do it myself i will try to explain what my steps are in case im missing something;

1) starting voxatron and go into designer
2) open actor/objects tab
3) create new pickup item and setting its 'special to life+1'

4) inside the pickup item i make an animation with a prop inside of a solid heart
5) i go up a folder back into the pickup item and make a new inventory item and set its 'max quantity to 4' and 'add quantity to 1' and turn on 'reject pickup if no gain'

6) going inside the inventory item i make two animation items
7) the first animation item is a 'lit heart' with the 'HUD group center1, carried, hud quantity display ENUMERATE 1'
8) the second animation is a 'dim outlined heart' with the 'HUD group center1, carried, hud quantity disaplay ENUMERATE CAPACITY 1'

9) i go back up a folder into the pickup item root and select the inventory item
10) i press CTRL+M to alias the inventory item inside the pickup item
11) i go out and into my player/actor i CTRL+V the alias

this weird overlap happens when i try to paste the alias, and it doesnt do it with your example

and when i try to run to test

this is what happens when i try to set it up

ive been trying for about two days to understand the inventory system and its pretty much the only thing i can not get to work correctly as a health bar, because with the way i have it set up currently the hearts only act like 'points' or 'pickups' and dont actually reflect the players health value

this is the cart ive been using to try and test, it has my actor which is broken and an actor with your setup and i still cant figure out what im doing wrong

and ive found out that RightShift+MousePrimary on some components/items can show the legacy settings but i found nothing that was hidden/tucked away from 3.5b and 3.6 that would help

P#111582 2022-05-09 21:52 ( Edited 2022-05-09 22:16)

It's been a while since I played with it, I did made a cartridge when back when, that deals with custom Life, reposting it below. I will however look into it and see if I can remember what I did, and maybe record a video tutorial. Just need to find time to play with it some :)

By the way, if you search for "Custom UI" in BBS>Voxatron there are more cartridges that I posted that have me exploring it, see if that could be any help meantime. I'll be in touch.

Link to the original post

Looks like the browser is not working properly :(

P#111626 2022-05-10 18:22 ( Edited 2022-05-10 18:29)

Thank you so much for trying to help, since my post i have figured out how to get general items to collect, but the strangest one i can not figure out is how health was hooked, because it doesnt appear there are any triggers. My only other assumption was I don't know if these older assets are somewhat broken or missing a feature was hidden/removed. Voxatron 0.3.5b and 0.3.6 in comparision has many changes and seeing all these nifty features in other carts are all from very old versions, but I am afraid I may need to downgrade even further if that is the case, otherwise the feature may be hidden and embedded with these 'Jelly Bits' everyone is copying, which still leads to believe there is a health hook somewhere.

I will keep trying to explore and check out the carts as well.

It seems 0.3.6 is slightly buggy as some features were moved around/broke like the console, I don't know if aliasing (Ctrl+M) was a console command or not, but it being not documented in the manual is frustrating

P#111636 2022-05-10 21:46

@alphaqueueop
@zep

I played with it and it does look like it's something that has changed starting 3.5b and going into 3.6 with how it makes an inventory item. Please keep us posted if you find the solution. I'll be looking into it some more too...

P#111747 2022-05-12 19:01

@digitalmonkey

...still continuing to try to find a work around, I had tried using the item as a pseudo-health bar, and trying to use a modifier when self hurt, well what I was trying to figure out was how to "remove" collectibles or points but I dont think inc/decreasing is avaiable with microscripting =/ only enumerating current value

P#111748 2022-05-12 19:23

@alphaqueueop
Items with negative points will remove points FYI

P#111752 2022-05-12 21:38

@digitalmonkey
Ah! Thank you! That might help towards this workaround. Also, apologies for blowing up this particular thread...

P#111755 2022-05-12 23:55 ( Edited 2022-05-13 00:10)

[Please log in to post a comment]

Follow Lexaloffle:          
Generated 2024-03-29 10:35:57 | 0.034s | Q:29