I ran into an issue last night and today where a cart isn't saving. I only noticed today when I reopened pico-8 and some changes were missing. Here's the series of events:

1. Did some work last night
  2. At some point I took a screenshot (F6) and/or made a .gif (F9). I'm a beginner so both of these were the first time I ran these commands ever.
  3. Made a few more changes
  4. Saved without realizing it wasn't saving (maybe I just didn't see the error message)
  5. Closed pico-8 and went to sleep
  6. Woke up today and noticed code was missing the edits (small clunky feature implementation so wasn't worried)
  7. Write some new code - still not realizing it wasn't saving when I pressed CMD+s
  8. Finally noticed it wasn't saving

So at this point I am on a Discord server (Lazy Devs) and asked if anyone had some tips. I got a lot of helpful feedback and tried a bunch of commands. Nothing persisted and the consensus is that it's likely a bug and probably related to permissions (the carts dir has R/W shown for my user account). Some things I tried:

folder - correctly opens the carts dir
save gives the error "failed to save"
save abc - no error, but no cart in the folder
export abc.pb - same as above
export .png - same as above

I haven't tried restart or anything like for now in case there's some debugging I could do to help fix any possible bugs. There's other things I can work on for now so let me know how I can help. Thanks!

MacBook Pro (15-inch, 2018)
Monterery 12.2.1 (21D62)

Model Name: MacBook Pro
Model Identifier: MacBookPro15,1
Processor Name: 6-Core Intel Core i9
Processor Speed: 2.9 GHz
Number of Processors: 1
Total Number of Cores: 6
L2 Cache (per Core): 256 KB
L3 Cache: 12 MB
Hyper-Threading Technology: Enabled
Memory: 32 GB

P#111468 2022-05-07 17:29

run folder backups to see if you have any autosave

P#111471 2022-05-07 18:11

There are a handful in there with the last being May 5th.

Pico-8 might be working now for me though.

I actually deleted the cart I was working on (I manually saved the code though) while debugging in chat (to see if it would recreate it). Not sure if this is related to it working.

I wasn't planning to close the application but pressing the x button on it closed it (on Mac typically this would only hide it not close). When I reopened it I was able to save a cart again.

I'll report back if the issue comes back though. Wonder if it's my code :)

P#111472 2022-05-07 18:44

I like to always use the shutdown command, so that I get prompted to save or cancel if I have changes

P#111485 2022-05-07 22:15

merwork, the issue is it wasn't saving regardless though. My habit is cmd+s, cmd+r so it wasn't a matter of me forgetting to save but something else stopping the data from being persisted.

P#111489 2022-05-07 22:42

I've had some weird issues, too. On a few rare occasions, I've done a cmnd-s save (mac), and it didn't work like normal. And, for some reason, about a month ago, it stopped saving regular backups.

P#111539 2022-05-09 05:24

[Please log in to post a comment]