Cart #makaronomachia-0 | 2022-03-19 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | License: CC4-BY-NC-SA

About

This is a re-interpretation of Bokosuka Wars by ASCII. You control up to 9 characters simultaneously, and combat will occur as they run into enemies.

Unlike in Bokosuka Wars, the enemies only move when the player moves, making this a turn-based game. Like in Bokosuka, the enemies may run into your direction and block your way, but they won't initiate a combat until you decide to engage them by running into them.

The characters have life bars. Defeating enemies will increase their max HP and ATK, and defeating five enemies will promote them, giving them a boost in growth -- but there's a limit to how strong a character can get. The characters heal slowly as they move as well.

The biggest deviation from the Bokosuka would be combat: in Bokosuka, the combat result was decided by the characters' ATK plus a dice roll, and the outcome of the battle was never certain. In Makaronomachia, there is a little bit of RNG in combat but the player can make reasonable expectations if an engagement will be successful or not. Maybe not the first time, but eventually.

A simple tutorial is included that explains the basic mechanics.

P#108874 2022-03-19 04:35 ( Edited 2022-03-19 14:34)

I have this game for the NES, @katiusza. I never could tell if you were supposed to rescue those people in cages.

https://youtu.be/CdUPDMDVwxQ

P#108875 2022-03-19 04:52

The game was never released on NES, just Famicom and the Japanese home computers. Maybe you mean emulator?

Anyways, only the knight can destroy the cages, and only the King can destroy the blockades and other objects to rescue more units. And yes, you want to rescue as many units possible in Bokosuka Wars as you need them to die to make way for the King to push through, and you don't want to risk King's death since that's game over.

A bit of that carries into this game as well. Only Seolhwa (the leader) can rescue the captive characters, and her death is still the game over here as well.

P#108876 2022-03-19 05:01 ( Edited 2022-03-19 05:02)

Yep, emulator for Famicom, @katiusza. Running in DOS many years ago. NES/Famicom game library definitely being a good source to look to for Pico-8 game ideas.

P#108891 2022-03-19 13:10

This was a lot of fun, and there was some good comedy in the dialogue. I was doing so well at first, and finished the first floor with no girls dead and all of them leveled up, but the second floor proved much more difficult. I foolishly thought the girls I found there could defeat a few enemies and level up, too, but in the end I lost 4 girls in the name of macarons for lunch. They died well, and I will think of them every time I eat a delicious macaron. (wipes tear from eye)

P#108902 2022-03-19 17:15

@UnitVector That's not bad, that's about how many I lose (sometimes more). Finishing with all 9 rescued and alive would be pretty difficult, maybe I should add a special ending if the player manages to do that.

P#108907 2022-03-19 18:06 ( Edited 2022-03-19 18:06)

[Please log in to post a comment]

Follow Lexaloffle:          
Generated 2024-03-29 07:02:25 | 0.043s | Q:25