Cart #pasoyubatu-3 | 2022-02-22 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | License: CC4-BY-NC-SA

Hi all,
I wanted to share the first full game I made on PICO-8. It's a modern twist on the old Sopwith video game.

The purpose is to destroy all enemy factories. Can you successfully complete all three levels?

Instructions:
Right key to takeoff/afterburner
Left key to air brake
Up key to pull up
Down key to pull down
Z to fire main gun (unlimited)
X to drop bombs

From the secret menu:
If you tap both left and right keys at the same time, the plane will flip. It's not necessary as the plane will flip itself upright automatically when needed.

Fuel:
Make sure to check on your fuel level. Fuel and bombs can be replenished by landing at a friendly airbase.

I was able to cram quite a few things in here, such as minimap, background color gradients, AI with A* path finding (incl. implementing a priority queue), Airplane, bomb, and bullet physics.

Hope you enjoy and I'd be glad to get your feedback and suggestions.

Best!

Edit: fixed link and added instructions

P#107448 2022-02-22 02:22 ( Edited 2022-02-22 07:46)

This is great start, @omriperez ! Reminds me a great deal of SOPWITH back on IBM DOS in CGA graphics.

https://youtu.be/B8SLHKPxw4Q?t=67

I'll leave it at that until you get this game working better and it's possible to fly in reverse.

P#107453 2022-02-22 03:14 ( Edited 2022-02-22 03:14)

Thanks @dw817! I edited my post with more info and instructions. Having the plane flip itself upright automatically was actually a design choice to reduce complexity with the controls. However, see the secret menu above :)

P#107462 2022-02-22 07:44

Very nice little game! The plane feels like an absolute brick in the air which makes for some fun flying. The F-4 was a good example of a flying brick after all!
The one thing I was having a hard time with was the Up/Down controls for turning. I was getting them confused constantly, possibly because the buttons didn't swap when the plane inverted. Your description states that the (Up) key is to pull up and (Down) noses down, but this is only true when flying to the right. Once the plane flips (Up) is to nose down. You may want to correct the description or the controls if you think this is an issue.

P#107611 2022-02-24 20:40

[Please log in to post a comment]