Cart #bomba_cum_laude-2 | 2022-03-17 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | License: CC4-BY-NC-SA

Note: I am aware that the title could sound pretty bad in English. The Latin title means "bomb with praise", which is a pun on the expression "summa cum laude". I made the title in Latin as I used it as an Ersatz of the fictional Matogan language, and this didn't come to my mind until it was pointed out. It's not something I mind too much, but please keep the comments civil.

Update 200317

Performance update. Instead of creating all crates and enemies per level at once, the game will create them as they come into screen and this reduced the slowdown at the beginning of a level.

Update 200221

A few tweaks have been made, including the boss Sinoa's own bomb attacks. Somehow I couldn't get this to work without too much slowdown before, but it felt like something that really shouldn't be cut. After all, boss battle.

About

If you've ever wanted to play Sokoban while playing Bomberman or vice versa, here's the game. If you haven't, well, here it still is. Push the boxes to the circles the Sokoban way, and lay bombs to destroy obstacles and enemies the Bomberman way.

Pushing a box to the red circles will give you a bomb, and to a blue circle will give you a chain.

X: Place bomb. The bomb will explode and damage the player, so move out of the way quickly.
O: Use chain. Face a box and press O, and the box will move in the input direction.

For each level, the exit door will open when:

• There's no more boxes, or
  • When the boss is dead, when there is one.

You don't have to push every box to the circle. The bombs will also blow up the boxes, and that also counts -- so if you think you have enough bombs and you don't want to make roundabout trip to shove that one box, feel free to just blow it up. While the bomb stock is limited, you won't need to be super-efficient either.

There's no extra life, but each death will add 5 bombs to the inventory and restore all blocks (and enemies), but the destructible walls will remain destroyed. This is to minimize the chances of getting stuck in an unwinnable and unlosable situation.

Story-wise, this is a continuation of the other games that star Mina and Ka-Ka-Kaboom!, which I'm planning to revise later to tie it in better.

P#107282 2022-02-20 01:11 ( Edited 2022-03-17 18:22)

The puzzle was good. I got all the way down to one box on the first level, then accidentally set a bomb instead of a chain and died. I had forgotten I could just blow it up and finish so I was working hard to get it to a circle. It reset almost the entire level, which I found frustrating, and so I gave up. I am curious to see more, though, so I'll probably try again later.

P#107285 2022-02-20 01:42

@UnitVector I can understand that frustration. It was a way to prevent situations like if the player pushed a box to a corner and had no chain in the inventory or left in the level. Or if a player was low in bombs when they died, it might be annoying in a different way if they can't collect bombs.

I couldn't really think of a good one-size-fits-all solution (Bomberman and Sokoban were very different games indeed), so adding +5 bombs after death was a compromise to allow the player to at least skip some of the busywork, as they can just blow up the more annoying ones.

P#107287 2022-02-20 01:54 ( Edited 2022-02-20 02:32)

and what does this game have to do with semen? 🤨 📸

P#107389 2022-02-21 07:07 ( Edited 2022-02-21 07:08)

title is a pun on a latin phrase, not english slang

P#107396 2022-02-21 10:46

[Please log in to post a comment]

Follow Lexaloffle:          
Generated 2024-03-28 20:28:13 | 0.029s | Q:24