Cart #bugdefense-7 | 2022-02-15 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | License: CC4-BY-NC-SA

This is Bug Defense!

In this tower defense game, you have to ensure that bugs do not destroy your computer. Victory is achieved by fixing bugs.

Game Play

Bugs will move through the conductive tracks in your mainboard. Place your towers along the way to destroy the bugs before they get to the exit. All bugs can cause malfunction to your towers.

Controls

• Cursor movement: arrow keys

• Select and create towers: Z

• Cancel: X

If you had selected one type of tower and need to change to another type, press X to cancel the selection and Z to select the new tower.

Development

I made this game for the Game Off Game Jam: 2021. The theme was BUG

The game has 8 handcrafted levels, five types of enemies, and six types of towers to use to defend your place in the computing world. Initially, I was planning for 16 levels, but I had to cut them in half or I would not finish the game in time. It was my first experience with the tower defense genre. Definitely, it needs more polishing and balancing.

Meet your enemies:

[8x8]
Beetle: the first contender to show up. Not special, but can cause some damage to your computing tasks.

[8x8]
Slug: The slowest bug you will face. It is more toxic than any other bug in the menu.

[8x8]
Centipede: Its multiple legs will disable any booby traps you plant along the way.

[8x8]
Scorpion: It is like a war tank and will try to destroy any terminals it can find.

[8x8]
Flies: They fly fast, nothing can slow them down.

What you have in your arsenal:

[8x8]
Spinning gun: spits bullets when bugs came close. The cheapest one to get.

[8x8]
Booby trap: When triggered, this lethal explosive takes down almost any bug.

[8x8]
Laser: Multi aiming high energy gun. It fries bugs like no one can do.

[8x8]
Sticky trap: Slow down enemies. Flies are not affected.

[8x8]
Auto turret: Do not waste bullets! This high-tech gun fires directly through the enemies.

[8x8]
Terminals: They fix bugs for you and give you the ability to buy your defense equipment.

Special thanks to:
RobbyDuguay for Nine Songs in Pico-8 (https://www.lexaloffle.com/bbs/?uid=11038). I use the song "Empire" for this project.

Krystman for Porklike - Video Tutorial - Making a Roguelike in Pico-8 (https://www.lexaloffle.com/bbs/?tid=33121) I used some functions from this tutorial and learned a lot

Have fun!

Update

• Correction of the interaction between the enemies and towers.
  • Bug fixing in level 7: Enemies were not following the correct path.
  • Correction in the Terminals respawn after game over and game reset.
  • Added sfx when button X is pressed
  • Cursor blinking to help to see it on the screen
  • Selected tower sprite is shown as a preview with the cursor
  • Fixing the "bug fixed" message appearing partially off-screen when terminals are positioned close to the edges.

P#101368 2021-12-03 20:10 ( Edited 2022-02-15 00:16)

What an interesting Tower Defense you have here, @eduszesz.

Gold star work.

P#101373 2021-12-03 20:37

Thanks, dw817
Your gold star means a lot to me! :D
I'm glad you liked

P#101374 2021-12-03 20:42

I don't understand. Z and X do nothing.

P#102031 2021-12-08 14:15

Hi @BlinkyMcGoo

Thanks of playing

The cursor is initially white and its initial position is the upper left corner of the screen.
[8x8]

You have to move the cursor over a tower at the top of the screen, press z to select it. The cursor will become green.
[8x8]

Them, move the cursor over a place in the screen where you would like to top your tower. Press z to place the tower. If you would like to cancel the selection, press x.

If you have any other issues with the game, please let me know.

P#102032 2021-12-08 14:23 ( Edited 2021-12-08 14:28)

Hi @eduszesz. I am reminded of a good Tower Defense for the PSP that may give you some ideas for your own:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H3aNlGlIEqo

It is called VECTOR TD and all elements are vectored. Keep an eye on the right-hand side of the screen where you can add turrets of varying attacks and strengths.

P#104695 2022-01-09 23:16 ( Edited 2022-01-09 23:17)

Hi @dw817
Thanks for letting me know about vector TD. Really interesting game! Thanks for the ideas to improve the game!

P#104745 2022-01-10 13:32 ( Edited 2022-01-10 13:32)

Sure, @eduszesz. Also you might consider having the bugs move one-pixel at a time instead of on an 8x8 grid. When they are flashing when hit it's even harder to track their movements.

That video I posted above, you saw how they handled adding turrets and shooting at the approaching enemies.

Here is one more video. this is my all-time favorite Tower Defense. You might get some good ideas from here too.

https://youtu.be/fvGEW0l4vmw

P#104764 2022-01-10 19:40

[Please log in to post a comment]

Follow Lexaloffle:          
Generated 2024-03-29 04:30:49 | 0.038s | Q:28