1.4.1: Finally, MOUSE SUPPORT! How does it fit? No clue!
- Added an option to toggle mouse controls in the in-game pause menu!
- The option can be found in the same place as the save button. (Hold pause to open the menu)
- Move with ESDF, and jump with the right mouse button.
- The inventory is still controlled by the keyboard as usual.
- Using tools and placing blocks can be done within a limited range, and ranged weapons can be aimed freely!
- You can swap items using the scroll wheel, and as originally suggested by "oh lord he bacc", toggle the inventory by clicking it.
- The annoying "CTRL+C TO COMPLETE COPY" prompt while running on the BBS should now no longer appear while loading save files. (Thanks @shy for the workaround!)
- Hammers now break wall tiles in the same way pickaxes and axes break blocks, but with a faster speed modifier because of how slow they are. (Saved a lot of tokens)
- Shadow orbs now replace themselves with an ebonstone wall when broken, to improve the illusion of multiple tile layers.
- Furniture tiles such as workbenches, furnaces, and torches now break walls if the player tries to place them over one.
- Modified cave generation. There should no longer be a massive hole along the bottom of the world. (Apparently I broke it in 1.3, ha)
- Slowed down random tree tick slightly.
- Item collisions have been simplified to save tokens.
Stat counts: 8191/8192 tokens, 41232/65535 chars, 99.96% compressed size
We have officially entered the realm of extreme token saving wizardry. (i.e. using incomplete compound variable assignment to set multiple values to nil, to be treated as false. Yeah. THAT far)
@cubee i'm not sure if this would work well, but maybe for mouse mode have E be jump? i think rclick is a bit confusing (although that's probably cuz i have barely played with it) but also it doesn't really work on trackpad
not sure if changing E to jump would break anything that i can think of, since arrow keys still work
I did have E as jump at one point, but I think I removed it due to the token limit. I'll see what I can do to get it back, as the code to allow multiple jump buttons is already there.
Go for it, just obviously don't claim it as your own and all of that. It's got the Creative Commons licence for a reason.
Or are you going to rebuild it from scratch?
Either way, I'd like to see that.
@cubee sorry, my parents said that i cant have pico 8, so you may have to do it, but all you have to do is make a new cart, copy the original, perform the token saving wizardry, remove mouse suppourt, and add 2 controller suppourt with two character import options and splitscreen
however i might be able to do this in scratch, and add cloud multiplayer, like the original terraria,
edit: nevermind the cloud multiplayer, that would ruin the "old timey" aspect of it, but i would also make the sprites in the game 16-bit instead of 8
I probably won't finish this, but it's been a cool experiment so far. I had to cut quite a few things to even get a second player to a barely working state, let alone with their own entire screen.
And then there's the problem of the second player not having a pause key.
- Title screen
- Saving and loading
- Mouse controls
- World generation progress screen
It's hilariously broken too, though many of these should be easily fixable:
- Due to a lack of a player 2 pause key, both inventories open at the same time.
- The game no longer pauses while the inventory is open.
- Enemies move at an increasing rate based on how many players there are. (2 players = 2x enemy speed, 4 players = 4x enemy speed, etc)
- Opening the inventories teleports the camera somewhere underground.
Alright, well, it's seeming to be more doable now, though saving still isn't a thing.
(By the way, this is NOT going to be part of the base cart, unless something major happens with PICO-8 and I can magically fit it in somehow. The base cart is right on the edge of possibility as it is.)
There's quite a few quirks as of now:
- The light level for both players / the entire screen is controlled by player 2. Fixing this will involve changing how the lighting system's palette works, perhaps using the scanline palette mode to allow both sides to have a different palette?
- Mobs despawn if their target dies, and also if their target changes to a dead player.
- Again, there's only one pause key, so there are various instances of one player pausing the game and causing the other to delete a heap of items accidentally. In fact, you can see this happen in the gif: player one pauses before falling into a hole, causing player 2 to delete a bunch of weapons.
- Player 2 won't respawn unless player 1 presses the jump key.
- The trash slot is off-screen and not red anymore.
- The health bar icons loop over themselves, though I know exactly why and may have already fixed it.
- Probably a few things are broken, like some bosses, because I did a blind search and replace to get the player variables into a table format I could use to allow multiple players. (e.g. pxv became p.xv, max_hp became p.max_hp)
If this were to be released properly, I need a few things:
- An inventory key for player 2
- Enough tokens to allow saving/loading in some form. (Even if player saves are incompatible between versions)
Both of which are going to be hard to do, I think.
I may end up releasing it as a tech demo though.
OK, do you plan to play by sharing a keyboard or with two controllers?
Because I have an idea for how to separate the pause keys using the keyboard and another idea for using controllers, though controllers would require the use of PInput which is a separate program you run to add support for more controller buttons.
I really don't want to release it if the two players have to share a single pause button, I tried it with my friend and it was really annoying.
It's still a little bit weird, but I've fixed a lot of the issues.
- The light level now works separately for each player, though it's still a little weird in some cases.
- The trash slot is now visible again, it's still blue though.
- Player 2 no longer relies on player 1 jumping to respawn.
- Mobs no longer target dead players, haven't tested what happens if both players are dead.
- Autopause has been removed.
- Player 1's inventory key is the system pause key, so any held keys on player 2's controller will be un-pressed when player 1 opens their inventory.
- The health icons took up too much screen space, so I made them smaller. :)
- Performance. We don't talk about performance. All you need to know is that it frequently drops to 30fps.
I've mapped player 2's inventory key to keyboard T. The way this is implemented means it'll break if caps lock is on, so make sure that's off.
Current key mappings:
X/V/M: Use item
- Player 2:
Q/A: Use item
Multiplayer Tech Demo released!
If you would like to play with another person, there is a multiplayer version available here!
Just keep in mind that this multiplayer version lacks a few things, including saving functionality.
its been amazing seeing this game evolve into what might be the biggest single cart game in pico-8! if you're still looking to add some smaller "bonus" things, may I suggest an idea I had a while ago that I call 'expansion carts'
It would unfortunately not work on the BBS but the idea is having the user download the expansion into pico8 and it will load as a multicart from the base game
Because of the block you're standing on changes the biome, you can add 1 corrupted grass near your base and summon him while standing on it. :-) I found this out a while ago and it is a quick way to boss rush Ocram and Plantera.
Imagine someone recreating calamity here
will you be adding anything else to this game I know you've compressed it basically to the max but do you think you can add one more boss/biome like eater of worlds or brain of cuthlue?
I want to see a higher resolution remake, maybe with more biomes, bosses, enemies and items...
Oh wait ;)
@cubee i created a discord server for you @cubee You think that's a good idea? link serve: https://discord.gg/qZ5yujrgMa
I don't mind, but please don't call it "official" without asking me first. Otherwise it's unofficial.
Also, the invite seems to be invalid. (expired?)
bro why :( i not can't drop word and player
could you show me what the start of your player save file looks like?
I drew some sprites about the weapon, but I don't know how to make it spin when attacking.
You can find the rotated sprite function I used here:
or copy my slightly modified version from tab 3 inside the cartridge if you like.
If you use the one from the top of the linked page, you'll have to find the rot_coord() function from the R-TYPE cart as well, or use a different one from further down.
What I did was set the map tile at position (1,1) to the sprite surrounded by empty tiles, then drew it using:
1,1 being the position in the map, and 0.5 being half the width in tiles.
You can optionally provide flipx and flipy to flip horizontally or vertically, not sure if either of those work correctly but they at least worked for Terra.
If you go to the recently released https://pico-8-edu.com and type
load #terra_1cart you can look around as much as you like. The colours will be wrong though, because Terra changes them while running.
And to get the musket, it drops from the third Shadow Orb. There is an issue with saving where if you reload the world the Orbs will start again from the Shade Bow, so you can try loading your character in a new world to get it if that's the case.
Yeah you can use pico-8-edu to make games. I'm not sure if they can be published on the BBS though.
And for getting the musket, you can load your character, and make a new world instead of loading a world save file.
Then just go break all 3 shadow orbs to get the musket and only save the player file.
If you run the game, pause, and type:
and pause again, than you can see the right color of sprites.
By the way, thanks a lot to @cubee for teaching.
[Please log in to post a comment]