Follow
SethGeib
[ :: Read More :: ]

I am trying to create a script that will run Pico-8 natively on my Anbernic RG35XX Plus.

When I try to get it to run using the pico8_dyn raspi binary I am getting the following error:

SDL Error: SDL not built with haptic (force feedback) support

** FATAL ERROR: Unable to initialize SDL

I've been able to get it to boot, albeit without video, but this is requiring me to build my own version of SDL2, since haptic support is being required by Pico-8 and is not available in the RG35XX native SDL2 system files.

I'd like to avoid having to compile a new version of SDL2 just to "provide haptic support". Is there anything I can do do bypass this requirement in my native SDL2?

Here's my script so far:

#!/bin/bash

# Define variables
SCRIPT_DIR="$(dirname "$0")"
PICO_DIR="$SCRIPT_DIR/pico-8"

# Navigate to the script directory
cd "$SCRIPT_DIR"

# Function to check if a package is installed
is_package_installed() {
    dpkg -l "$1" &> /dev/null
}

# Install dependencies if they are not already installed
if ! is_package_installed wget; then
    apt-get update
    apt-get install -y wget
fi

if ! is_package_installed unzip; then
    apt-get update
    apt-get install -y unzip
fi

# Check if PICO_DIR exists, if not, download and extract Pico-8
if [ ! -d "$PICO_DIR" ]; then
    # Download the PICO-8 zip file
    wget OMITTED THIS URL SINCE IT IS WHERE I AM PULLING MY OFFICIAL PAID FILES FROM

# Extract the zip file
    unzip pico-8_0.2.6_raspi.zip

# Delete the zip file
    rm pico-8_0.2.6_raspi.zip
fi

# Navigate to the pico-8 directory
cd "$PICO_DIR"

# Make the pico8 binaries executable
chmod -R +x .

# Execute the pico8 binary and log output
./pico8_dyn -splore -width 640 -height 480 -volume 50 -pixel_perfect 1 -windowed 0 -joystick 0 -home $PICO_DIR -root_path /mnt/sdcard/Roms/PICO8 >> $PICO_DIR/pico8_log.txt 2>&1

If compiling my own version of SDL is my only option, how can I get the video output to work correctly. Right now it outputs in my log:

Current video driver: offscreen

I've tried setting it to directfb, and x11 and such, but it says they are all unavailable. I have a feeling this is because I am compiling the SDL, but I am in a bit over my head in terms of my knowledge of how video drivers work in these kinds of hardware.

P#140769 2024-01-28 22:11 ( Edited 2024-01-28 22:16)