Follow
andycyca
[ :: Read More :: ]

Cart #nofehukjo-0 | 2022-05-04 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | License: CC4-BY-NC-SA

Newbie amateur game dev here! I've been programming for a few years now, mostly for academic/scientific purposes. I've always wanted to try my hand at making games, but I've always found an excuse not to.

So screw that, I'm starting from zero in a new language doing the absolute minimum that I can call a "thing" and here it is: a very simple histogram tool that "rolls" virtual dice and displays the frequency of the different rolls (excluding events with zero-frequency).

I'm used to doing this with more sophisticated tools and ad-hoc libraries, learning to do things «by hand» is a challenge in and of itself.

The histograms do not generally follow the distribution that one would expect. I believe this happens because:

1. Strong cryptographic principles and robust (pseudo-)random number generation is outside the scope of a tool like Pico-8, and
  2. Andy has screwed something in the code and prefers to publish something imperfect rather than trying to perfect it and never publish it.

So here it is, a small tool that will expose me and might help someone in the future.

Customization

Ideally, you should only need to customize three things:

• rolls is how many times you will try the experiment; in a real-life situation you want this to be large
  • dpr is how many dice you're rolling each time. It's the first number in the common dice notation (1d8)
  • ds is the dice size, or how many faces the virtual dice have. Common dice for D&D are obviously 4, 6, 8, 10, 12, and 20; but one can customize it to other numbers for «impossible» dice.

What else?

I haven't tested this with larger numbers, mostly because P8 is not the tool for such rigorous analysis and data visualization. Use large numbers at your peril.

P#111298 2022-05-04 21:28