Follow
piko_chu
[ :: Read More :: ]

Hi all,

I'm a software engineer, but not a game programmer. I've only played around a little with game engines. I've also dabbled with pixel art and 3D modeling. I'm thinking about buying Voxatron to play around with, but am wondering if I wouldn't be better off spending my time learning something like Godot. So for those who have bought it and made some games in it, is there anything you wished you knew before buying it?

One of the things I'm wondering about is just how limited it is. From what I've seen you have rooms that are a maximum of 256x256x256 voxels to work with. You have to create new rooms and stitch them together (somehow) to create a larger area. Are there limitations on the number of rooms you can stitch together? How feasible it is to create a somewhat large game playing space?

There also doesn't seem to be much in the way of guides for learning how to script, which is something I would want to do. The lack of information makes it hard to know just how much can be done with scripting, as well as how easy or difficult it is to script the ideas I have.

Any advice is welcome. Thanks!

P#95344 2021-07-27 14:42