Follow
wanp

i see...

[ :: Read More :: ]

Cart #astroyd-2 | 2024-05-02 | Embed ▽ | License: CC4-BY-NC-SA

ASTROYD

Any good computer needs one of these. This is my version, with a bunch of juiceful extra stuff that wasn't in the original classic release.

What, I really have to explain the game? In this day and age? Fine...

The Controls

• ⬅️ and ➡️ to steer.
  • ⬆️ to thrust forward.
  • [Z] to perform a hyperspace warp! Your momentum is conserved. You might warp face-first into an asteroid, though.
  • [X] to fire.

The Game

As you destroy asteroids and flying saucers, you will gain points. See, this is one of those "arcade games" where the points are the point, and the reward is a high score.

That's neat and all, but the game will also become more difficult as you increase your score and clear screens. I wonder if there's a limit...

Gain 10.000 points and you'll get an extra life, up to sixteen.

Some Advice

• Try not to go into hyperspace unless you absolutely have to. It becomes more of a gamble as the number of asteroids increases.
  • Don't just sit there... The flying saucers will have a harder time aiming if you keep moving.
  • Destroying asteroids while you're right next to them is probably not going to end well for you when they split in two.
  • Remember that your own shots also wrap around the edges of the screen.

Also, Stuff

• Aside from the main game there is also Lurker Mode. In this mode, there is only a single, small asteroid chunk, but flying saucers show up far more often, and they have much better aim. See how long you can take this...
  • You can go into the settings to enable the visualization of collision shapes. Also, something called "funky mode"...?

That's About It

If something seems off, it's probably my fault and you should yell at me about it. Have a good day!

It's pronounced "a-stroyed."

Changelog

1.2 (05/02/2024)

• Added: A sound effect and screenshake are present when the cart first starts
  • Changed: The custom pause menu has been removed, as there is now one built into desktop Picotron
  • Fixed: Holding an option button for longer than one tick resulted in accidentally selecting "Play" or "try again"; there is now a small delay before menu actions will work when the game over screen comes up or the cart starts anew

1.1 (04/23/2024)

• Added: High scores are tracked and shown both on the title screen and on game over
  • Fixed: Hyperspace warp affected player bullets

1.0 (04/23/2024)

• Initial release
P#147169 2024-04-23 04:09 ( Edited 2024-05-02 10:54)