Follow
Antillese
Densha de PICO-8
by
[ :: Read More :: ]

Cart #tripper_ost-0 | 2024-03-16 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | No License

This is the in-game OST for Wire Tripper.

https://kbones.itch.io/tripper

It's the second collaboration with Bones studios that I've done all of the audio design on. SFX, and music were all composed by me - DJ Tent Mode. It's the first time that I've used custom instruments in any meaningful way. I'm looking forward to trying out the Wavetable functionality in the next collaboration.

I hope that the cart's code itself can be helpful for aspiring PICO-8 musicians to repurpose. Having the structure of a "sound test mode" cart has been very helpful for my composition process and I hope someone else can get use out of it.

My favorite track is the tutorial tune, "Put it on my charge card" which uses the custom instruments to provide quite a bit more texture than what I felt was possible when I started writing PICO-8 music about 4 years ago.

P#143242 2024-03-16 03:41

Cart #popcorn_music-0 | 2023-10-24 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | No License

I was delighted to be asked by a friend to write the music for the upcoming game "Butter Dorks". Here's the OST and SFX test cart so you can listen to it on loop until the game drops!

P#136328 2023-10-24 16:56 ( Edited 2023-10-24 21:46)

Cart #zamboni-13 | 2021-12-12 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | No License

Been working on this off and on for quite a while and it's the most complicated one I've ever written. Needed to learn camera, palettes, and modulo math. I'm probably the most proud of the dynamic music queuing when the Zamboni shows up, and during the game over screen. Thanks Gruber for all your publicly published music tutorials.

P#84700 2020-11-26 06:49 ( Edited 2021-12-12 19:34)

Cart #ddp8-6 | 2020-01-31 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | No License

This is my first release of pretty much anything game related which I submitted to the 2020 PICO-8 Game Jam.
https://itch.io/jam/pico8-2020/rate/558851

A fun proof-of-concept that lets you drive a train in a manner similar to the Japanese Densha de Go series of PlayStation games from 20+ years ago. Bonus forum points are awarded if the train is correctly identified as my local light rail system.

Learned a ton as I knew nothing about PICO-8 or Lua as of Christmas.

Huge thanks go to bridgs and her series of tutorials on YouTube. I bootstrapped myself based on her excellent content. Here's a link to her channel.
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC2Ea8uwt3r2NOttXY8gcOSw

Todo from my original WIP post and my progress:

[x]General graphics pass to clean the map. Overlay of the overhead wires differently to get map space back.
[x]Implement a countdown timer and score mechanic.
[x]Different levels.
[ ]Paralax scrolling of background elements.
[ ]Implementation of speed limits and time penalties for speeding.

I probably won't work on this project much more as I feel like I learned what I needed to learn from it, but it was great fun.

P#72494 2020-01-31 06:05 ( Edited 2020-01-31 06:05)

Latest version:

Cart #ddp8-6 | 2020-01-31 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | No License

Original post:

Cart #ddp8-0 | 2020-01-16 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | No License

This is my first release of pretty much anything game related. A fun proof-of-concept that lets you drive a train in a manner similar to the Japanese Densha de Go series of PlayStation games from 20+ years ago. Bonus forum points are awarded if the train is correctly identified as my local light rail system.

Learned a ton as I knew nothing about PICO-8 or Lua as of Christmas.

Huge thanks go to bridgs and her series of tutorials on YouTube. I bootstrapped myself based on her excellent content.

Click that link:
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC2Ea8uwt3r2NOttXY8gcOSw

Todo:

• General graphics pass to clean the map. Overlay of the overhead wires differently to get map space back.
  • Implement a countdown timer and score mechanic.
  • Different levels.
  • Paralax scrolling of background elements.
  • Implementation of speed limits and time penalties for speeding.
P#71989 2020-01-16 06:43 ( Edited 2020-01-31 05:59)