Just a silly little toy that I cobbled together over the last few hours.
Somewhat inspired by today's Castlevania streams during SGDQ and the DVD logo screensavers of old.
Additionally, it's the first time I used any shape more complex than circles or rectangles.
There obviously still is a lot of room for improvement, but I'm quite pleased with my first foray into maths in my projects.
First started a half-assed attempt at the Butterscotch Shenanijam last weekend.
The theme I rolled was "Squeaky Elk", so this is "A Game about a Squeaky Elk".
Then, somewhere in the middle, I made PICO-8 crash and lost a lot of the code and stopped working out of frustration.
I still wanted to do something for May's #1GAM, so I tried to redo some of what I lost in the crash.
It's not that much fun and I even left out any beginning/menu/end, but it's still playable.
You move the elk, trying to get the screen squeaky clean. Scrub that dirt. Reset the screen at any point by pressing any of the action buttons.
Well, that ought to do it, i guess.
This is my third entry into #1GAM.
The theme was "Write".
Sadly, I haven't quite gotten the hang of starting "early" yet.
So this, again, was cobbled together in the last few hours of the month, just to meet the deadline.
I mean, there are still 9 more months left in this year, so I might still get a chance to make an actual game in the future.
It's actually quite fitting, that most people will only get to play this starting on April Fools' Day.
My second entry for "One Game a Month".
I took just the slightest hint from the theme and decided to stay true to my love for puns.
This one is all about ant-(may)hem!
I once again started suuuuuuper-late with my project (that is, <24h ago).
For future projects, I should make sure to prepare certain parts in each week leading up to the end of the month, so as to still have time to fix stuff.
This time, there were a bunch of features that I couldn't implement, starting with collision. The plan was to have a more Snake-like experience with the ant in the front being unable to pass through the "tail" of other ants - without that, there are few challenging mechanics left. Thus, the "game" became more of a zen thingy. Que sera sera!
Also, I tried my hand at the slightest bit of procedural generation and was quite overwhelmed. But, having seen, what other, more capable devs, are able to do with those tools, I am eager to explore further in that direction with future games.
Concerning the missing sound and music, I simply couldn't be bothered.
I feel that my skills in this regard are just too lacklustre at the moment, so this is where a lot of future preparation time will be sunk into.
Lastly a small warning, performance-wise:
The code is a mess, with no garbage collecting or recycling to speak of. It is no wonder then, that the game starts lagging after a certain amount of ants and groceries have entered the stage.
If it becomes nigh unplayable, that's what I left the reset via the X-button in for.
Thanks for your patience and happy playing!
My very first PICO-8 game.
In fact, the very first game I ever went through the ordeal of actually making it available in any meaningful way.
Cobbled together in a few hours today, just so I had something to show for January's #1GAM.
The theme was FRIENDS, which I implemented rather loosely.
Gameplay-wise, I tried to make the whole thing playable without sight. Even though they're pretty simple sounds, the audio stuff took by far the most time.
Anyhow. Now it's out and I'm free to procrastinate for another month.