Cart #sleigh_away-0 | 2023-12-02 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | No License

Sleigh Away

This project is an entry for the Strawberry PICO-8 Jam 2023 Christmas, made with the fantasy console: PICO-8. Theme was Christmas and restriction is 4 colors only!

Controls:

You move the reindeer, Santa will follow your positions if you have moved enough time (like old options worked in shmup).

ONLY SANTA'S HEAD HAS COLLISION, use this to your advantage!

Story:

Santa got lazy after making all the games this year, so help the reindeer pull him away from the dangerous Krampus army, who are here to ruin the Holiday!

Gameplay:

Grab 3 randomly spawning goodies to help your journey!

Candy canes grant you one life + points equal to your new life total!

Gifts grant you 10 points each!

Christmas grenades can help you clear the screen away when Krampus overwhelm you! Press X to use them, if you have any (indicated on top-right corner)

Don't let Krampus hit Santa or it will decrease you hearts. Upon 0 the game will end!

YouTube:

If you are interested in development you can find all the dev vods on my YouTube Playlist!

Support:

If you like my work you can purchase the standalone binaries for this game! If you would like to see more games, gamedev blogs, pixel- and voxel arts check out my Ko-fi page, where you can support me if you want! You can get the PICO-8 cart for free on the BBS: https://www.lexaloffle.com/bbs/?tid=55077

https://linktr.ee/AchieGameDev

Big thanks to Csöndi, M4TTBIT and nnsfaka for supporting my work over at Ko-fi

P#138157 2023-12-03 09:06

Loved every minute! Has a strange and unique feel to it like many Atari games do. And also nice Christmas atmosphere. Should win most Xmas game jams imo. Thank for making this game! Only thing I would change is make Krampus blue gray, or white. The red it just too satan looking and he deserves his own identity:)

P#138296 2023-12-05 20:11 ( Edited 2023-12-05 20:13)

@Huwans Thank you for your kind words, I'm glad you liked it! Somewhat agree with the different color for the krampus but sadly we had a 4 color restriction for the jam. I went with the red instead of green, so they look more menacing and usually red == something bad in games.

P#138331 2023-12-06 08:55

Oh 4 colors! That makes way more sense now

P#138376 2023-12-07 02:56

[Please log in to post a comment]