Cart #fireship-3 | 2023-12-01 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | License: CC4-BY-NC-SA

Warning: The PCM audio has clicks/artifacts when the game is played in browsers

You can turn it off by entering the pause menu (ENTER on keyboard) and turning the sound effects option to "pcm off"

I'm not sure how to fix this issue, I believe its a a problem with how pico8's web implementation works. The sound effects should work properly when run in from the pico8 splore or in the exported binaries I published on itch.

I decided to make most of the sound effects using pcm (feeding data into the buffer instead of using the normal pico8 sound system) for fun and to figure out how they worked, and it also left free sound channels for music. I probably should have tested how the sound worked in browsers before I built the whole games function around it. (I also included an option to only have the boost/acceleration sound turned off in case people are okay with the artifacts for short sound effects like enemy deaths).

Anyway,

Game Controls/Info:

• Mouse+click to accelerate your ship toward your cursor position - (this consumes energy, don't run out!)
    -This will make your ship shoot fire which is how you damage enemies (running out of energy stuns you)

• Don't get hit by enemies or bullets!
    -You'll loose one shield each time, run out and you die (no checkpoints or saving, you lose your progress)

• After each wave of enemies you clear to get the chance to choose modifiers​
    -You get to pick one of two options, each has a good thing and a bad thing​

• Right-click to use you special once your extra meter is charged up from defeating enemies
    -At the start it heals you two shield, but you may get the option to change what the special does in the modifiers

There are 11 waves with more and more enemy types introduced over time.
Well, the 11th wave is a boss fight, so not quite a "wave."

Here are the names I gave the enemy types:

• Drifter
  • Dasher
  • Shooter
  • Exploder
  • Bouncer

That's it for this one (for now)! Hope you enjoy it!

P#137915 2023-12-02 00:58

[Please log in to post a comment]