So this had bugged me for a long while for binary versions of games, how to load in data while the game was running using the serial connection. I had a quick look for examples but couldn't find any, so if anyone else is struggling with how to do it then this code might be useful for you.

To test it down download the code and run it. You should be able to press X to generate some data to your clipboard (or swap code add in printh command). Save that as a text file. When running just drop the file in and you'll be able to see the data being loaded into memory.

You can tweak a few variables to load in anywhere from 0xf to 0xffff.fffff values which you can then post process to have loaded data for your game.

Hopefully this is of some use to someone struggling out there. For me, I'm going to use it for DLC content

NOTE: This doesn't work with BBS games, and when using HTML versions would would need to mess about with the template load it it in that way. This is just purely for binaries or when developing.

Cart #bekowejozo-0 | 2023-05-01 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | License: CC4-BY-NC-SA

P#129252 2023-05-01 19:07

[Please log in to post a comment]