Cart #swobuperi-0 | 2022-12-24 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | License: CC4-BY-NC-SA

PicoMotos v.0.1 Demo

This is an early version of a small game I worked on in September, taking advantage of the few days of the paternity leave. I'm wrapping up a few things, so I decided to put it here as a WIP, although I'm not sure I will move forward.

I tried it with a joypad and the playability is better, playing with the keys might be a little challenging even with the many power-ups frequently spawned.

If somebody tries it I would love to hear some advice!

P#122937 2022-12-24 16:33

It's good but the bouncing seems a little off, @TooOldForThat.

Think of 2 bumper cars. Whomever is going the fastest is the one that is pushed back the least.

So in this case when you collide into an object your momentum counts FOR you and you are pushed back only ever so slightly. Here. Try this. Set it so instead of being pushed back with the same force as your opponent that you are only pushed back by half of it.

See if that not only makes the game easier and more enjoyable but may have better physics besides.

P#122962 2022-12-24 21:56

thanks @dw817. from the very beginning, the purpose of this experiment was to explore physics and it's incredibly hard for a newbie like me. I took inspiration from codes here and there, but I'm probably lacking the basis of collisions. I will try, should not be too hard to implement a function that increases the force of the collision in proportion to the speed of the objects. many many thanks!

P#123014 2022-12-25 17:28

Hi @TooOldForThat:

Or ... just set it so the player always receives have the value. Then make the game challenging as it goes on and they can't always use this as a way to defeat opponents with other opponents slamming into them from other sides.

P#123054 2022-12-26 07:07

[Please log in to post a comment]