Port of PICO-8 Celeste to Retro Gadgets

Retro Gadgets is a video game about building all sorts of retro-styled devices with all the clicky buttons and other goodies, and I noticed two things:

1. The screens have a square aspect ratio
  2. The CPUs are programmed with Lua

Commence bad idea.

After a week or so of borderline masochism, I managed to port PICO-8 Celeste to Retro Gadgets using the original Lua code, spritesheets, music and sound data, along with writing some quick scripts to do syntax conversion from PICO-8 Lua to standard Lua, and to get the map and flag data out.

The entire game is beatable from start to finish, and functions identically to the PICO-8 version apart from minor visual quirks.

Retro Gadgets: https://store.steampowered.com/app/1730260/Retro_Gadgets/
My Celeste gadget for Retro Gadgets: https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=2899096562

Technical details:

• Partial reimplementation of the PICO-8 API (only the bare minimum Celeste requires)
  • Some quick bodging was done to get around Retro Gadgets' lack of sprite flipping and palette swapping
  • Every sound effect and music track was rendered to a wav file, which is why the workshop file is so large

Pictures:

Title screen

First level

Front of board

Back of board, showing the components

P#122417 2022-12-14 20:51

How does something like this work with licensing? Celeste Classic is listed as No License, which would imply that using the code/assets to create derivative works wouldn't be allowed. I'm not a Steam user, so I can't tell if you're selling this or not, but from a license POV it might not be allowed regardless.

I only bring this up because awhile back we had some NFT morons swiping PICO-8 games to make NFTs out of them to sell without licensing them or even contacting the original devs to see if they were OK with it, and this strikes me as eerily similar to that.

P#122418 2022-12-14 21:19

Ah, pardon the confusion:

I don't work on Retro Gadgets, this is an unofficial endeavour by me and I am not affiliated with the developers of Celeste or Retro Gadgets.

I am not selling this, the gadget is a free workshop add-on.

EDIT: Also, to put it bluntly: NFTs should die and never return.

P#122419 2022-12-14 21:29 ( Edited 2022-12-14 21:35)

This is a cool looking project AND a cool looking Steam game I hadn't heard of.

P#122439 2022-12-15 02:08

Hey man! I found your celeste port on Retro Gadgets and it's so cool to see Pico-8 and Retro Gadgets work so well together. Two of my favorite projects atm. Is there some way I could use the scripts you wrote to convert pico-8 Lua to standard? I wanna push the limits of Retro Gadgets and I think making it run Doom would be a great start. Thanks!

P#131573 2023-07-02 22:55

someone already mode Wolfenstein 3d in RG, so give it a go and see how you end up!

P#141460 2024-02-13 17:52

Yo, anyone good enough at RG to make a PICO-8 gadget that can run code that's straight pasted from Pico-8? I know its a huge question, and that something like that would be hard to make, but it would be fun!

P#141613 2024-02-18 01:40

[Please log in to post a comment]