I've been working on a song in RP-8, and I've recently modified RP-8 to not just write song files to the clipboard, but also to timestamped save files on the desktop. After a long session of working on the song, I tried to save, and got a message about there being too many printh files.

I wouldn't have lost too much work - the whole reason I have this many files is that I've been checkpointing frequently - and I was able to get the data out of the clipboard, but it was still frustrating. This was a very long session, Pico-8 had probably been open for 12 hours or more while I'd been working off and on. Creating so many save files would certainly be a problem if Pico-8 had only been open for a few minutes, but over 12 hours I feel like it's not unreasonable?

I'd love for Pico-8 to reset its number of files / amount of data limits after some period of time, even an hour or two would be fine for my purposes.

I'd imagine this isn't super high prio, but it would be very nice. As I get closer to releasing RP-8 I'm starting to think more about awkward situations and edge cases I'll have to explain in the docs, and this would certainly be one of them. The really awkward thing about this one is that it undermines trust (since the user feels like they're losing work), and it's somewhat difficult to get around in a nice-feeling way...

I guess I could have a save counter and add some sort of visual warning and/or exit when you've created the last save possible in a session? Still awkward but better than nothing.

P#114478 2022-07-17 19:37 ( Edited 2022-07-17 19:38)

[Please log in to post a comment]

Follow Lexaloffle:          
Generated 2024-04-18 17:27:03 | 0.004s | Q:6