Cart #myplatformerprototype-2 | 2022-06-03 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | License: CC4-BY-NC-SA

Gifs

Screenshots

About

First upload of my platformer prototype for feedback.

Controls

Walk with arrow keys, jump with X key.

Current features

Wall Jump, variable jump height, and my first attempt at implementing a coyote time.

changes

Added sfx to the jump, tweaked the way the player falls after releasing the button and added character animations.

P#112482 2022-05-30 17:43 ( Edited 2022-06-03 23:29)

The maximum jump height seems like it'd fit well with the layout style you're using. I'm not sure if the coyote time feels right because I never got accustomed to pixel-perfect jumps anyway (I've always been more into indie platformers that don't necessarily have coyote time). However, I would advise against requiring any tight jumps from platforms that have curved edges since the character is completely off the ground visually before reaching the edge of the platform. Other than that, I don't think it's a good idea to completely remove all the player's momentum when they release the jump button. It makes the jump clearly and visually stop being a parabola like objects moving through the air are expected to be. It also makes the minimum jumps feel completely different from full jumps, which comes across as inconsistent. I would recommend instead adding to player.dy an amount comparable to gravity so that it still feels like acceleration and looks visually similar to the full jump. Lastly, I think if you have any tutorial text about wall-jumping, it'd be a better idea to call it "wall-climbing" or something like that as the actual mechanic you've implemented would be really awkward to actually jump sideways with.

P#112503 2022-05-31 04:42

This is a very nice start to a game! I think it needs a few tweaks to the movement however. For instance the jump feels a little weird as it either feels very heavy or very light depending on how long you hold the jump button which feels kind of clunky. I think the wall jump also needs to keep the player in the air a little longer than it does as it feels like you have to mash the jump button really fast to wall jump. I think a wall jump simular to Mega man X would work pretty well. it would be also nice to be able to wall jump without holding the directional key towards the wall as it can make your wall jump feel unresponsive at times. No idea if this is intentional but I also noticed in the code you use the Update function which makes your game run at 30fps, but you can use Update60 which makes your game fun at 60fps which makes the game look more smooth

P#112678 2022-06-03 14:30

[Please log in to post a comment]