Cart #tamehayibo-1 | 2022-04-24 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | License: CC4-BY-NC-SA

About

My first go at Pico-8! I wanted to try to do something a bit different with cards that people don't normally do, with big chunky cards.

Aim of the Game

Win big - starting with $100, can you break the bank at $1250 or more?

How to play pontoon

Pontoon is a lot like blackjack, if you've played that, you'll be familiar with the general idea. If not... please allow me to explain.

Each hand you play, you're trying to beat the dealer's hand. You'll both be dealt a card and you're invited to bet on that first card, from $5 to $25. Then you're dealt a second card.

If you happen to have 21 in those two cards, that's called a pontoon and you'll win (unless the dealer also has a pontoon!), otherwise you'll be looking at your hand and deciding how to proceed.

Your aim at that point is to get the highest scoring hand you can, without going over 21. If you make it to five cards without having gone over 21, that's a '5 Card Trick' is is the next best thing to a pontoon. (A five card trick will beat even a 21.)

Your choices after you've been dealt two cards are to 'bet', 'twist' or 'stick':

• bet means to add more to your stake, up to the value of the last bet you made, and be dealt another card
  • twist means to be dealt another card (and once you have twisted, you can't bet any more)
  • stick means to accept the hand you have, you can't stick below a hand of 16

After you have accepted your hand, the dealer will reveal their cards - if they haven't got as many points as you, they'll decide whether to draw more cards, or let you win. The dealer will not stick below 16, but will not always stick on higher values. The dealer wins if they tie with you or have more points - or reach a 5 card trick.

If you win a hand, you get your bet back (including the bet for any extra cards you've bet on that hand), plus the bet's value again. If you had a pontoon, you get your bet back plus you win double.

If either you or the dealer gets a pontoon, the deck will be shuffled. Play continues until you run out of money or reach $1250.

How to play this cartridge

When the game begins, the deck will be shuffled, and you will be shown your card. Up/down to change the bet, O to accept.

When you have the choice to buy/twist/stick, up to buy, O to twist, X to stick. The buy menu works like the other menu, up/down to change bet and O to accept.

The chips

Red chip - $5
Blue chip - $10
Grey chip - $20
Orange chip - $50
Black chip - $100

Version history

24 April 2022 - 1.0

First release, needs more testing :)

P#110795 2022-04-24 20:55 ( Edited 2022-04-24 20:56)

First off may I say, @Arantor, that you have the nicest looking playing cards I have ever seen for Pico-8. Your face cards are full of beautiful detail !

That and the game definitely plays just fine. When the player or computer win though I would show how much is lost by the player when the DEALER wins.

Other then that, superb work ! Gold star.

P#110845 2022-04-25 18:14

[Please log in to post a comment]

Follow Lexaloffle:          
Generated 2024-03-28 16:53:37 | 0.028s | Q:14