Cart #kobold_adventure_mahjong-4 | 2022-01-03 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | No License

Reech the Kobold is trapped behind a brick wall of mahjong tiles. On the other side of the brick wall is a fire-breathing dragon. This Is Fine.

Hey! This is my second PICO-8 game and the first one I felt like releasing. It's a strategy game based loosely on riichi mahjong and comes with a tutorial explaining the gist of how to play it.

This might have marginal appeal to folks who don't already play riichi -- it's a solo version of the game where you can build big hands without being interrupted.

If you're a riichi mahjong fan, here's the rule differences:

• no situational yaku
  • no dora
  • no fu
  • no calls or other players at all
  • no open hands
  • pinfu has been replaced with all-chis
  • no yakuman hands
  • scoring is way simpler
  • no dead wall (play just continues until all tiles are depleted)
  • yakuhai can be scored on any honor tile

(New on 1-3: I made the game much easier. Look at tab B if you want the gory details. Have fun!)

P#104174 2022-01-03 06:07 ( Edited 2022-01-03 23:32)

I scored . . . 0! Is there an achievement for that? There should be. I bet most people accidentally stumble across a point or two even if they don't know how.

I kinda thought I was doing the right thing based on the tutorial (clearing matching or sequential sets of 3 plus one pair) but I think I need to read up on the rules to figure out why that wasn't what I should have been doing. It wouldn't be the first time this week that I was too dumb to figure out what to do in a game!

P#104232 2022-01-04 00:14

OK, because I am a moron, I was discarding things I wanted to build instead of discarding the things I didn't want. So of course I scored zero. Of course. Please don't be like me, people.

P#104233 2022-01-04 00:35

Oh gosh, thank you for your reply!!!

I wonder how many people would tend to make that mistake. All my playtesters except one were riichi mahjong players, meaning that they understood the mechanics already.

I might consider displaying the information in a more interactive way at some point.

P#104234 2022-01-04 00:41

Once I figured out what I was doing, it was quite fun! I scored 4000 on my second attempt & I think I can get that higher with more understanding of the strategy. I hope more riichi novices like me give it a try.

P#104235 2022-01-04 00:47

Same! By the way, if this appeals to you on any level, I really do recommend Kemono Mahjong. (on Steam) Another tool you can play with is the Mahjong Efficiency Trainer here: https://euophrys.itch.io/mahjong-efficiency-trainer .

I'm likely to make a few more scoring changes to this -- one of my playtesters suggested a system that I think is more likely to reward efficient play.

P#104253 2022-01-04 04:50

This is super cool! I can't believe you have all the logic for the yakus!

By the way, great aesthetics on the tiles. It would have probably looked too busy if you tried to draw all the calligraphy.

P#104355 2022-01-05 19:27

Thank you! I decided on simple tiles pretty early. As for the scorer -- yeah, it wasn't easy, but I've done mahjong scoring before!

P#104381 2022-01-06 02:21

[Please log in to post a comment]