Hi, new to the PICO-8 community (since today) and super excited.

So I'm doing the most basic tutorial and I can't figure this out. When I go to the sound editor, I don't hear the sound I'm creating with my mouse.

However, when I play my game, or when I play other games, I can hear sounds/music. Now from the tutorials I've seen, the sound editor auto plays as you "draw" your sound. Did the UI change and there's a 'play' button?

Because the sound works on games, I'm not sure this is an issue with my pi. Hoping somebody can help out, it's really hard to edit sounds by going to the editor and only previewing while running the game :-(

P#102237 2021-12-09 23:12

To my recollection, sound has never played on draw, only when you press spacebar after drawing something. If you enter notes via the other view in the editor, those notes do play as you enter them.

P#102239 2021-12-09 23:32

It's possible (in either view) to use the keyboard (presuming you have one attached to your RaspberryPi) to enter notes. This should cause the note to sound as you type it. (It surprised me that keyboard entry works in draw/pitch mode as well as tracker mode - I hadn't tried it till now.)

Z plays a C.
S plays a C#.
X plays a D.
etc.

Or as the manual puts it:
"Each note shows: frequency octave instrument volume effect
To enter a note, use q2w3er5t6y7ui zsxdcvgbhnjm (piano-like layout)
Hold shift when entering a note to transpose -1 octave .. +1 octave"

When I use the keyboard on my PC, it sounds the note. I don't know if it is the same for the RaspberryPi version.

In either view, as 2bitchuck has said, the space bar will then play back the whole sfx.

P#102288 2021-12-10 08:58 ( Edited 2021-12-10 09:37)

Ugh, this is embarrassing guys. I was watching several youtube video tutorials and missed that they were pressing the space key (well they didn't mention it). I assumed it would play automatically.

LOL - sorry. But thanks for the responses! Still trying to get used to the editing tools.

P#102299 2021-12-10 14:22

[Please log in to post a comment]