Cart #monclo-5 | 2021-05-24 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | No License

Hi! This is my first PICO-8 game. In monclo, an adventure game with light platforming, you can pick up and throw anything. Picking up enemies allows you to redirect their attacks for your own purposes. Explore the area, solve puzzles, and escape!

CONTROLS
🅾️ : pick up/throw (you can only pick up monsters from behind, unless they’ve been frozen!)
❎ : jump
mash 🅾️ or ❎ : free yourself from ice
arrow keys: move

Feedback is very appreciated! Thanks for checking it out! :)

P#91703 2021-05-09 01:13 ( Edited 2021-05-24 01:14)

this is an amazing game with its visuals and puzzles, but it's also very 'janky'. objects are hard to pick up (maybe use bounding boxes if you have them) and the ice enemies are annoying (imo, the timer doesn't need to be there: just spam buttons for yourself, or throw enemies 2-3 times/against a wall if you want them to wake up). or just ignore me because i haven't made major carts yet. either way, i want to know what's at/beyond the end.

P#91781 2021-05-11 02:31

@copperTones Thanks so much for playing and for your feedback!! :) You've given me a lot to think about. I think at the very least it would be good to have some sort of visual tell when an object can be picked up. And yes, getting frozen can be annoying - I was considering shortening the timer for the player only, but being able to mash out of it could also work.

Anyway, thanks again for trying it out! I'm not sure if I'll update the cart or move on to a non-PICO-8 version since I'm running up against the token count, but either way I will definitely keep your feedback in mind!

P#91784 2021-05-11 05:04

I really like the look and the gameplay in this. The perspective is really cool, reminds me of Zelda. Exploring the world is really cool, I like how each room is like a mini-puzzle. The biggest problem for me at the moment is the movement and collision, it's really easy to get stuck on corners and it feels like you have a one pixel window to pick up enemies or to be able to walk down a narrow path. The character design is really cute too, and it's a really cool splash screen. :)

P#91916 2021-05-14 10:54

@extar Thanks so much for playing and sharing your feedback!! I think my biggest takeaway from making this is that making the player’s collider the exact same width of the passageways is a really bad idea, lol.

I have a couple ideas for improving the collision and picking up without using too many tokens, so maybe I’ll update the cart. :)

P#91922 2021-05-14 12:16

…I just had a sudden realization about the getting stuck on corners problem. I’m going to update the cart this weekend to fix that and a few other things!

Also I somehow completely forgot to mention in the controls that you can only pick up monsters from behind!!! I’m going to make some updates to the pick up code but I’m adding a note to the controls. Need to figure out how to make that clear in the cart itself too.

P#91926 2021-05-14 13:17

Hi folks, I updated the cart! I tried to incorporate feedback as much as possible (and thanks so much to everyone who has left feedback on here or twitter!!!). Here is the changelog:

V1.1
-corner bug fixed
-new icon above object indicates when it can be picked up
-player has a larger window to pick up objects
-player can now move to a lower platform without jumping
-monsters move less frequently
-player can mash 🅾️ or ❎ (5x) to free self from ice
-fixed bug that allowed you to grab high up objects
-added mysteriously disappearing screen shake back in when throwing

Here's the new icon that appears above an object when you can pick it up!

The change I'm not too sure about is letting the player move to a lower platform without jumping. There's no hop or anything, so it looks a bit weird, but I wanted to try giving players more freedom of movement after hearing feedback.

P#92460 2021-05-23 20:36

@CooKid101 Thank you! :)

Just put out another tiny update to fix a bug! Monsters could fall off the map if they bounced off a wall and then hit an orange wall while still airborne.

P#92482 2021-05-24 01:20

[Please log in to post a comment]

Follow Lexaloffle:          
Generated 2024-04-20 03:23:43 | 0.052s | Q:24