Hi guys.

I have a question about running things in RetroPie (EmulationStation).

I have what seems to be everything installed correctly. By this, I mean I have a system in EmulationStation called Pico8, and I have a list of cartridge games that boot just fine when selected.

At some point, I added a script file that appeared at the top of the Pico8 game list. When selected, this script booted straight into SPLORE, and loaded the main SPLORE browser. I had an SD Card failure, and as a result, I had to revert back to an older image of my RetroPie before I added Pico8. I have the cartridge games in my Pico8 system and they boot just fine as before, but the script I acquired beforehand has been misplaced. I can't for the life of me remember where I got it etc.

I have read tutorials (such as the one here) that demonstrate creating the script, such as +Start PICO-8.sh, and then adding code such as this:

!/bin/bash

pushd "/home/pi/pico-8"

./pico8 -splore

popd

When I run the script from the games list, Pico8 loads, but I get an error saying
COULD NOT LOAD /HOME PIE/RETROPIE/ROMS/PICO8/+START PICO-8.SH it loads SPLORE
TYPE HELP FOR HELP

If I type SPLORE and press enter, it loads the SPLORE Browser.

The script I had beforehand booted straight to the SPLORE Browser without the need to type SPLORE. I would like the script to do this as the plan is to user Pico8 without a keyboard.

Please can you help me to get a working script that sits in the games list of the Pico8 system to boot straight into the SPLORE Browser area.

I hope the above makes sense, and thanks ever so much in advance for your help.

Vox.

P#91411 2021-05-03 09:11 ( Edited 2021-05-03 09:14)

It looks like your config is trying to run pico8 with your shell script as ROM (so 'path/to/pico8 -run path/to/script-to-start-with-splore'), which can’t work.

There are other threads about retropie config on the bbs, you should check them out to see how to do this!

P#91426 2021-05-03 15:36

Yes, the es_systems.cfg <command> does execute with the logic of loading a %rom%. This was the case beforehand, yet I had a script in there that somehow bypassed this logic and booted straight into the SPLORE browser.

P#91444 2021-05-03 19:28

Anyone know how to do this?

P#91567 2021-05-06 10:55

Have you read the existing threads?

https://www.lexaloffle.com/bbs/?tid=3935
https://www.lexaloffle.com/bbs/?tid=36031

I think you may have to configure two systems: one with 'pico8 -run %ROM%' to see carts as games in ES and run them with pico8, and another entry just to run 'pico8 -splore'.

I haven’t used retropie or ES, but with pegasus-frontend I was able to configure a custom game ('_splore.png') in my pico8 game collection to run a special command, so in the end I see only one pico8 system but the first game lets me get splore. I don’t know if that would be possible with retropie!

P#91575 2021-05-06 14:07

Hi again merwok. Yes I have read those threads, multiple times might I add. In the end, I did configure two systems as you have suggested.

I was hoping that someone would know how to somehow have a script in the standard %ROM% command system to do this. As I said, I did have a script that I added from somewhere before the SD card failure, so I know it can be done.

P#91583 2021-05-06 15:30

[Please log in to post a comment]

Follow Lexaloffle:          
Generated 2024-03-29 09:06:27 | 0.006s | Q:13