Cart #aadv-11 | 2020-05-25 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | License: CC4-BY-NC-SA

Pilot, your brother is a polar explorer. He got in trouble!

Just take him home!

Hints:

• First, learn to land your aeroplane;
  • Lightning and birds do not damage you plane while it is on the ground;
  • Low throttle->low fuel consumption;
  • Storm clouds can be passed above;
  • And... just take your brother home!

The game can be completed in ~7-10 min...

I will be glad your feedback.

Binary builds are here: https://instead.itch.io/aa

P.S. This is my first PICO-8 game. PICO-8 is awesome. :)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8LT7JFxVNpA

Changelog:

• repair chance reduces.

• hard mode balance;
  • repeat key delay fix.

• hard mode;
  • rank fix.

• rank is shown at the end;
  • camels added;
  • you have chance to repair engine on the fly (press z/x fast);

• ballon collision fix;
  • refuel while throttling 0 fix;
  • clouds position fix;
  • airplane physics fix.

• easy mode;
  • inverted controls;
  • bufixes.

• ballon cleanups;
  • smoke cleanup.

• fix in safe points;
  • fix in landing.

• clouds shapes fix;
  • night horizon fix.
P#76942 2020-05-20 12:06 ( Edited 2020-05-30 16:43)

The dangers of aviation - I like it.

P#76943 2020-05-20 12:31

Wow, this is so much fun! 😊
And very authentic as well. I can totally imagine this being an actual '80s game.

Congrats on your first game!

P#76948 2020-05-20 16:45

Thank you for feedback. :)
In fact, the game is not hard. But first you have to get landing skill. Fly above aerodrome and carefully drop throttle (x).

P#76970 2020-05-21 06:52

i really like the look of your game. your sprites for the plane, the clouds, obstacles, and all the little details of the terrain are nice and cute. you even have a day/night cycle! and that propeller noise is so good!

that said though, i found this game extremely difficult to the point that i just gave up after a long while. which was disappointing for me to realize because i was really drawn in by everything else about your game. :(

i found the biggest challenge for me was the controls. usually when i've played airplane games in the past, up is down and down is up. i had to keep reminding myself of the opposite for this one. an option to invert the y axis in the pause menu or from the title screen would be wonderful.

i also didn't realize there was a way to lower the throttle until i read your comment above. i thought 'o/x throttle' from the title screen meant i could use o or x for starting the engine. i kept crashing for a while before then, thinking the angle must have been wrong to land. i think separating the explanation on the title screen would be helpful. '(x) to decrease throttle, (o) to increase throttle' or something to that effect could be a solution!

and while gaining that knowledge did help me get a bit farther, little things kept popping up that made me enjoy the game less. one was when (on about half my runs) storm clouds would spawn in succession one after the other. at one point i had to wait almost an entire minute before taking off because storm clouds at the very top kept floating in above the airfield. and though that is realistic, it wasn't much fun for me as a player. maybe decreasing the spawn rate a bit would help?

anyway, i don't want to sound too negative on your game because i think you have something here. the idea of going out on a mission to save your brother from peril and make it all the way home is one i was eager to try and wanted to play. it was fun dodging the birds and balloons and making for the next airfield! it was just too tough for me in the end though. i hope my feedback is helpful for you, but regardless, thank you for sharing your game! i can tell a good amount of work went into this one. :)

P#76973 2020-05-21 09:49

Thank you for feedback!

[x/o] I see. I will update help screen in future version.

[inverted controll] - will think about it

[level of difficulty]

The level of difficulty could be the real problem. Technically, this level can be changed by reducing birds speed, amount of clouds and making landing more easy. And it was changed 2 or 3 times during development. From 'too easy' to current values.

Btw, clouds (like other objects) do not spawn when encountered, they created once and then they lives whole round. They calculated always, even while not visible.

So, currently i am not sure. Most of my internet friends have passed game and after 2 days of playing i am winning almost always. So, it's looks to me like simple game. But, i really like hard games (sqrzx and so on), so, may be i am not adequate.

So, i will try get feedback and then will think again.

Thank you for such detailed feedback. :)

P#76975 2020-05-21 10:27

After reducing clouds, birds speed - game looks TOO EASY for me. :(

So, I talked with my friends, and i got the idea! What about extra easy mode?

1. adding inverted mode
  2. easy mode(less objects, less speed of obects, easy landing) and normal mode
  3. help on separate screen

May be it is a good idea? anydayhappyday?

P#76976 2020-05-21 10:38

Lol.. Thats all true. :)

P#76979 2020-05-21 12:14

>>aeroplane adventure makes no sense
It's an old airplane, like it was made in 1900. Open cockpit and overall fragility of the structure. Therefore, there is no possibility to perform aerobatics and guaranteed disaster when colliding with birds. This is really cool - I'm learning to land in 5 game sessions!

P#76981 2020-05-21 12:36 ( Edited 2020-05-21 12:49)

@hugeping all those ideas sound great! :) i completely understand you wanting to keep a difficulty setting for people who enjoy harder games. so two modes (easy and normal) would work well for people like myself having trouble with the normal mode.

thank you for being so responsive!

P#76983 2020-05-21 13:36

Ok! I uploaded 1.4
New: easy mode, inverted control and bug fixes.
Hope, you like it )

P#76986 2020-05-21 16:04

Some day I will actually land this airplane... :)

P#77002 2020-05-22 07:55

@Mot you can enable easy mode in options

Btw, https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8LT7JFxVNpA

P#77003 2020-05-22 08:11

I have got a tons of feedback (though not from BBS :), so here is 1.6.

• Now you have chance to repair engine on the fly (just press z/x as fast as you can).
  • Rank is shown at the end.
  • Camels added.
  • small fixes.
P#77127 2020-05-24 13:39 ( Edited 2020-05-24 15:28)

@hugeping i finally had another chance to sit down and play your game today. and after some close calls and a few tries, i completed it on easy! :)

what fun! with the confidence i have now, maybe i can practice and try for harder difficulties.

thank you for the joy you've shared with this game!

P#77588 2020-06-03 08:24

@anydayhappyday thank you for feedback! My son 10yo finished it in normal. In fact, game is not hard, just need some practice and strategy ;)

P#77591 2020-06-03 08:45

[Please log in to post a comment]

Follow Lexaloffle:          
Generated 2024-03-19 01:40:43 | 0.055s | Q:34