I have always had difficulty with hardware acceleration on my computer. Just last night my computer fritzed out as I was working in Pico-8. Fortunately I had saved my work.

What I would like to know is, is there a way to run Pico-8 IDE without using hardware acceleration ?

Now I tried this argument in running it:

-software_blit n         use software blitting mode off (0) or on (1)

Which is listed in the Pico-8 HELP file but it does not seem to make a difference one way or another that it is on.

I'm using SPEEDFAN to monitor my GPU and it's up to 70 when running Pico-8 which according to its reading is, "hot."

Now I don't have this problem with other applications I'm using as I've managed to configure them all for software acceleration.

Windows 10 Home.
OS Build 17763.805
AMD Ryzen 3 2300X Quad-Core Processor
3.50 GHz
64-bit operating system, X64-based processor

Any ideas on how to configure Pico-8 for software acceleration only ?

P#72667 2020-02-03 19:43 ( Edited 2020-02-03 20:05)

Those specs are really good compared to what I'm using. How do you need to use hardware (or even software acceleration for that matter) for PICO-8? I can run it on a
Windows 7 Professional
Service Pack 1
Intel Pentium 4
2.79 GHz
32-bit operating system, X64-based processor not even available.

How on God's green earth is it running "hot"? And it's happening with no other apps? With these very peculiar occurrence this might be the start to one of those 90's Virtual Reality adventures where the heroine learns not to copy floppies. JK but in all seriousness, I have not met a less demanding app than PICO-8. Were you using the BBS when it happened? That's the only other thing I can think of.

P#72671 2020-02-03 20:20

Hi, @Chaotic.Squirrel:

I think the fan broke on it. (Or it was broken to begin with). Hopefully not that as I bought it from Best Buy years ago.

SpeedFan a program that monitors the fans on the computer is saying the fan is not running.

No, I had problems before running SNES emulator, PSX emulator, PSP emulator, NES emulator, the works. But they are all now configured to run using software drivers instead of hardware - and they run just fine without adding a dot of heat to the graphics card.

It's only Pico-8 that I think forces a hardware card - which is unfortunate as I'm working on a project in it.

I tried disabling my hardware card entirely, which surprisingly I did, but my display text suddenly shrank, music stopped playing (I have 24-hour music play in background).

And bringing up prefs could see I could no longer access my 2ndary monitor (60" for guests to watch movies on).

So ... I couldn't just disable my graphics card. I re-enabled it and everything came back.

I just need to disable hardware acceleration for Pico-8 and I'll be all set.

P#72673 2020-02-03 20:27

Oh, yeah that makes sense. Guess it's a no to the Virtual 90's adventure, huh? anyway should probably mark this as solved. I knew it made little sense for it to be running hot. Guess I was trying to diagnose it incorrectly. I was confused as to what you meant srry!

P#72683 2020-02-03 21:19

Well it's not really solved, and it's not listed as a problem, it's got the category, "Chat."

Hopefully someone can figure out how to run Pico-8 with software graphics acceleration instead of hardware.

P#72713 2020-02-04 04:11 ( Edited 2020-02-04 04:12)

[Please log in to post a comment]

Follow Lexaloffle:          
Generated 2024-03-29 13:38:23 | 0.043s | Q:12