Cart #52477 | 2018-05-07 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | License: CC4-BY-NC-SA

Controls: Arrow keys to hop around, up to jump straight up, Z to inspect things behind you

This was originally my submission to the Ludum Dare 41 Compo, my first Ludum Dare! I've been playing with PICO-8 on a different as-yet-unreleased project, but decided to jump in on a game from scratch for LD. The theme was "combine two incompatible genres", and I went with a side-scrolling text adventure. I started Saturday morning, so the original was made in something like 28 hours of coding/eating and 5 hours of sleep. It was functional and winnable, barely, but I love my little frog creation and want him to have a better world, so I've been working on improving it.

The inspiration for the game was a picture of an old Apple Newton that someone posted in Slack at work, which had a frog icon for a game that I initially thought was titled "Frogs vs. Cats". Upon zooming in and consulting references of Apple Newton apps, I was disappointed to find that it was in fact Frogs vs. Cars, and was just a boring Frogger ripoff, but the seed was planted. Frogs vs. Cats was born.

Version 1.0.2 was the official compo version - this one adds features and such that would be unfair to add to the compo release. Once it's somewhere I'm happy with I'll bump it to 2.0. So please forgive the spartan levels and lack of any actual versus-ing of frogs and the cats, and enjoy this wonky little frog hopping about exploring this text-driven world. It's obviously undercooked, and there are some bugs outstanding, but overall it should be playable, and increasingly entertaining as time goes on.

Changelog:
v1.0.1: Fixed credits, made a better label
v1.0.2: Added x as alternate jump button, fixed cat spawning bug
v1.1: Locked the grate, added changing backgrounds, added an actual catsle, made some of the text/travel nicer
v1.1.1: Lots more sounds, changed control scheme, added more backgrounds/rooms, added text and improved text handling
v1.1.2: Added a title screen, improved interactions with doors, made items more obvious, some visual improvements

P#52028 2018-04-25 18:45 ( Edited 2018-05-07 00:12)

[Please log in to post a comment]