Cart #51927 | 2018-04-23 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | License: CC4-BY-NC-SA

My submission to the Ludum Dare 41 Compo, my first Ludum Dare! I've been playing with PICO-8 on a different as-yet-unreleased project, but decided to jump in on a game from scratch for LD. The theme was "combine two incompatible genres", and I went with a side-scrolling text adventure. It's playable, if a bit spartan - I started Saturday morning, so everything you see here is the product of something like 28 hours of coding/eating and 5 hours of sleep. I'm pretty proud of what I made of it, all things considered!

The inspiration for the game was a picture of an old Apple Newton that someone posted in Slack at work, which had a frog icon for a game that I initially thought was titled "Frogs vs. Cats". Upon zooming in and consulting references of Apple Newton apps, I was disappointed to find that it was in fact Frogs vs. Cars, and was just a boring Frogger ripoff, but the seed was planted. Frogs vs. Cats was born.

This verion isn't really a 1.0, but I figure since I'm officially submitting it to LD, I'll call it that, and 2.0 will be the real good version, if I circle back around to it, which I probably will. I've gotten attached to this little frog.

Controls: left/right to move, up to hop up a block, down+up or X to hop vertically to get up on ledges. Z/O inspects whatever's behind you.

The areas/levels beyond the first couple are all the same boring, generic level - I ran out of time to put proper levels together. Those will come first, as the code is actually pretty flexible and amenable to adding the levels.

So please forgive the spartan levels and lack of any actual versus-ing of frogs and the cats, and enjoy this wonky little frog hopping about exploring this text-driven world. It's obviously undercooked, and there are some bugs outstanding, but overall it should be playable, if not terribly entertaining yet.

Changelog:
v1.0.1: Fixed credits, made a better label
v1.0.2: Added x as alternate jump button, fixed cat spawning bug

P#51919 2018-04-22 21:29 ( Edited 2018-04-23 21:04)

[Please log in to post a comment]

Follow Lexaloffle:          
Generated 2024-04-20 06:45:09 | 0.009s | Q:10