Cart [#36359#] | Code | 2017-01-22 | License: CC4-BY-NC-SA | Embed

For my first ever game on Pico-8 I'm fairly happy at how it turned out! (Thanks to Trasevol_Dog, as for without this Jam and his tutorials I would never have found how enjoyable coding is)

I made the TV skin based on the Macintosh 128k (you don't say, eh?) It's one of my favorite "Retro" Computers. I even copied the original boot-up sound for the cart! All in all, I'm really pleased at how it turned out.

As for the game.. where to I begin, I was learning everything along the way. I knew what I wanted to make but I didn't know how, I ended up using several tutorials at once while having 2 cheat sheets open and then learning other needed functions from various Pico-8 games (Thank you community!) At one point I spent 2 hours trying to fix an error in my code.. only to find out that I used END twice... I know, I know. The only thing I wanted the most was on on-screen scoreboard. The closest thing on any other Jam entry at the time was a giant scrolling level indicator, which wouldn't fit in my game at all. I instead decided to come up with a 2x3 number alphabet using only 2 colours and by god does it work well as a substitute. The only problem with this method was the sheer amount of code needed. Each number needed around 20 lines of code each. Hence the score stops at 60 and loops (it was wasting too much time) Obviously there are probably workarounds with code etc but I didn't have much time and I was only just starting but I think it does the job.

Anyhow, enjoy the minigame and thank you for playing!

Le Dook

P#36360 2017-01-22 15:55 ( Edited 2017-01-24 15:41)

Wow, that score font worked really well!

A good way to do the score with less code would be to create a function that draws a single digit 0-9 at a specified x,y coordinate on screen. Then you have code break the current cookie count into the 2 digits, and draw each digit at the correct location on screen. This also means you have just 10 sprites (one for each digit) instead of one for each possible score. Let the computer do the hard work of copying them! :-)

Great first game though, and the TV is really cool.

P#36530 2017-01-23 23:00 ( Edited 2017-01-24 04:00)

Cute cookie, lovely tv! I included it in my compilation video series of the Tiny TV Jam games, if you’d like to take a look :)

P#36567 2017-01-24 10:41 ( Edited 2017-01-24 15:41)

[Please log in to post a comment]

About | Contact | Updates | Terms of Use
Follow Lexaloffle:        
Generated 2019-05-25 22:13 | 0.016s | 4194k | Q:25