I recently bought an iPhone and pretty soon noticed that there are very few good games for it, and most importantly, very few that stay interesting after 15 minutes. I think CC would be pretty much the perfect game for the iPhone! The touch interface is a natural fit, and with all the levels already available, the replayability would be huge. Needless to say, I would buy it.

So here's the obvious question for Joseph: I'm not sure if you have dropped any hints on this so far, but do you see any reasons NOT to do an iPhone version, besides the many other projects you have right now? :) I really can imagine it being worth your while.

(Edit: category)

P#726 2009-11-08 18:20 ( Edited 2010-10-07 08:22)

I gather that Joseph is busy with other things at the moment. Still, I hope we'll see CC on a mobile device someday. I think that even hiring someone else to port it could work out since the game itself is so awesome. I've checked out pretty much all moderately popular puzzle games in the appstore and few come close.

crossing fingers

P#727 2009-11-24 17:37 ( Edited 2010-02-04 14:30)

I came here to see if there was a project in the works to port Chocolate Castle to iPhone/iPod Touch and found this thread. I second Gray's sentiments - this would be a sure winner!

P#728 2009-12-10 17:44 ( Edited 2010-02-04 14:30)

Yes, absolutely. Chocolate Castle will make its way onto the iPhone, but unfortunately not so soon. It's in the hands of another developer at the moment which is proving to be a very slow process, so I may reclaim the project. I'd like to release it with a collection of about 50 14x10 puzzles (for the smaller screen), and a special strategic mode where chocolate and animals warp in randomly. It will be grand!

P#729 2009-12-22 07:08 ( Edited 2010-02-04 14:30)

Sounds good! I just hope no-one makes a knock-off game in the meantime, e.g. Fudge Fortress...

BTW, if the game had a built-in level editor like the original AND connected to an online level sharing repository with level ratings etc - that would really make it shine. I think the trick would be to implement this efficiently, i.e. without wasting too much money / dev time. On the other hand, I haven't actually seen any iPhone game do this so far, so maybe the phone users aren't interested enough in general. After all, statistics do suggest that most iPhone apps only get used for a short while before interest is lost. Anyway, just an idea.

P#731 2009-12-23 06:31 ( Edited 2010-02-04 14:30)

You may want to look into cocos2d-iphone for a nice framework to port your games to iPhone.

@

P#740 2010-02-04 09:30 ( Edited 2010-02-04 14:30)

Could I put in a request for iPad support, please?

Quite honestly, I'm a bit fed up with iPhone developers generally because they mostly ignore the iPad, which is inexplicable given its massive take-up. The amount of additional effort to support it natively must be pretty small in most cases - particularly if they're adding retina display support for the iPhone 4, which brings the pixel resolution pretty close to the iPad - yet they don't do it.

Or, if they do produce a separate iPad version, they tend to charge a great deal more for it, despite the fact that it's usually virtually identical to the iPhone version.

A separate iPad version is clearly better than no iPad version at all. However, I personally feel that the best show of goodwill, customer care and effort comes from a developer producing a universal version. If an iPad version is genuinely an enhanced special edition, with features that the iPhone version doesn't have, then it's fair enough for it to be iPad-only. But that's only rarely the case, and if it isn't, then a universal app is certainly the way to go from the point of view of being customer-friendly.

So that's what I'd ideally like to see with Chocolate Castle (or indeed anything else...).

P#1128 2010-10-07 04:22 ( Edited 2010-10-07 08:22)

[Please log in to post a comment]

Follow Lexaloffle:          
Generated 2024-03-28 09:45:22 | 0.006s | Q:16