Cart #summercrush-1 | 2024-04-14 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | License: CC4-BY-NC-SA

TO PLAY:

Use the right arrow to advance through dialogue. When it's time to make a choice, use the up and down arrows to choose carefully. You need as much Confidence as possible in the final scene! But, if you run out of Cool, you die, so be careful.

NOTES:

I had this idea many years ago, for a dating game where if you get too embarrassed, you instantly die. Unfortunately, a lot of the drama of that idea was lost in making the game less funny and more "it works".

That said, in the end, it works. I don't recommend making a dating game unless you have a great story idea, because I spent a LOT of time shrinking the story down into something that fit in one pico-8 cart. One cart or die. That's my motto.

My favorite thing that I did was with the custom font. @McLeopold has a great font called "Femto-Font" that I used in here, and it naturally involved a really long "POKE" command that took up about 14% of the cart space. To get some of it back, I actually encoded most of that POKE into the MAP data! I wasn't using the map space for much, so it was a great use of it that allowed me to put the font in and still fill the story up with some fun content.

Anyway. Thank you for playing!

P#146413 2024-04-14 11:51 ( Edited 2024-04-14 15:05)

This is now my favorite VN-style pico 8 game (I don't know any others??). Great work!

Also I survived the Tunnel of Love :)

P#146615 2024-04-14 14:53

[Please log in to post a comment]