Follow
ScientistWD
[ :: Read More :: ]

Cart #nova_blazer-2 | 2023-03-03 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | License: CC4-BY-NC-SA

My second PICO-8 game, made possible by the heroic LazyDevs tutorials. I can only dream to become as lazy!

I had an idea for a shooting game where you could take over enemy ships and ram them into each other. It's not perfectly polished, but I think it gets the point across for now!

Please enjoy it.

Let me know if there are any errors; I was using an outdated version of PICO-8, so unexpected bugs may appear.

P#126533 2023-03-03 02:04 ( Edited 2023-03-03 02:08)

[ :: Read More :: ]

Cart #scientistwd_breakoutsky-0 | 2021-11-10 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | License: CC4-BY-NC-SA

Breakout Sky

A little something I made up from the LazyDevs tutorial. I wanted to try my hand at PICO-8, and I really had a lot of fun! Your job is to break up the clouds to reveal the sun again.

Control

Use "LEFT" and "RIGHT" to move, of course. Press "X" to kick, but be sure to do it with good timing! In addition, if you collect enough Stardust, you can hold down "O" to unleash a surprise!
Some blocks react differently if you kick the ball into them. Pay close attention!

Modes

STORY MODE is a set of thirteen levels. You get 9 lives to complete them, so good luck! It's the best mode to help you learn the game, too; I recommend beating it first.
ARCADE MODE is randomized from a set of twenty levels. You only have one life! Try to get as far as you can.

Credits

I want to thank the LazyDevs guy for making such a spot-on tutorial. I didn't follow it perfectly, and I even quit before getting to all of them. But without them, I might not have ever gotten to know PICO-8, and I thank him very much for all his hard work and his excellent attitude!
I've linked it here.

Behind the Scenes:

• If you take the opportunity to look at the code, you'll see that I really could have done better with the particle effects, token-wise. I didn't really want to up the scope or graphical power of the game that much more anyway, but still. Yikes!
  • The first way I departed from the tutorial was the theme. I tried to give it a sky/rain theme, and add that bit of narrative to the game. Hence the dark clouds, lightning, and stardust.
  • The second departure was controls. I wanted to add the "kick" mechanic! I really like how it turned out, and I think it has a lot of potential to be more interesting. I felt that the powerups from the tutorial were a little too much to go with it, though.
  • I kinda wish I'd spent more time on the music, but I'm not confident at all in my abilities there! I usually make music for my games with Famitracker. PICO-8 has much less space! Even less than I thought! I hope the sound effects are good enough instead.
  • Likewise, my art isn't super. I'm not that messed up about it, though, just because I like how a lot of the other graphics turned out. Adding more detail to the ball or paddle felt a little bit wrong and distracting, even. And I had to leave the blocks simple to achieve the effect I wanted in the later levels of the story mode.
  • I had fun! I hope YOU have fun! Thanks for playing!!
P#99895 2021-11-10 02:31

Follow Lexaloffle:          
Generated 2024-03-28 10:32:05 | 0.066s | Q:13