Cart #catforestadventure11-4 | 2024-03-09 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | No License

Become a cat and journey through the forest. Thank you to Dylan Bennett for his Top-down adventure game tutorial that gave me a strong foundation.

P#142573 2024-03-08 00:31 ( Edited 2024-03-09 16:21)

Didn't play for too long yet, but it feels a bit too trollish for me so far :
Having the previously nonpunishable rock "Open" with a key when the last key was used to open a door...

After that, you get the pounce ability, get your 1st item out of eight witch is a nice way to introduce the mechanic, and one screen later, you spot a suspicious rock and feel smart for jumping on it... And get rewarded with an instant game over...
Curiosity did indeed kill the cat.
I guess redoing the whole thing wouldn't take too long, but I'm afraid that other instances of random game-overs might be waiting for me.

P#142604 2024-03-08 14:46 ( Edited 2024-03-08 14:48)

@RealShadowCaster Thanks for the comment! Sorry you randomly died! It looks like if you jump onto that rock and then jump down, then you go out of bounds and lose immediately. I did not intend for there to be any way to lose. I removed that rock--it seems like there are no other places for you to jump out of bounds.

I agree the door-rock is a bit opaque. The dialogue with the cat is supposed to point you to that direction and maybe flag that rock as suspicious. If I can think of a better sprite I will update in the future. Thanks again for playing!

P#142605 2024-03-08 15:21

@towerschool22 OK, Kudos to you for handling out of bounds situations, but a clearer message like "Unexpected out of bounds, please report to BBS" would have been even better. I'll give your game a 2nd chance.

P#142614 2024-03-08 16:34

Overall OK fetch quest, just wish you could carry more than one item at the time to reduce backtracking. Got 7/8 toys (except the one north off the chest) that I can see but can't reach, even if it looks like a down left jump could be the way to reach the stone cluster.
Couldn't enter the castle either, but I'm guessing you need the item you'll get after collection all 8 toys. Reaching it from the back allows to listen to the castle music, but not enter it. I'm also guessing that the hint related to waves is related to the inside of the castle.

Small remark, you should display the cat sprite horizontally flipped if the last horizontal movement was to the left. Any hint about how to get the last toy ?

I'm also wondering, since one of the toys is in the house, wouldn't it mean you'd be softlocked if you get the east key series toy without opening the house first ?

P#142643 2024-03-08 22:49

@RealShadowCaster Thanks for the detailed feedback. I can understand the one toy at a time is a little much. I wanted that to be the main limitation though, since cats usually only hold one thing in their mouth. I think if the map was smaller then it would work better.

The one you're stuck on is definitely the most tricky. For a hint, the solution to getting to the toy is close to it. I have just added a change that will make this more apparent if you test around.

And yes, that is a softlock! I changed it so you are able to jump into the window in case you get locked out of the house. Also the cat changes direction now :)

P#142655 2024-03-09 01:18

Well, there's definitely something wrong with the 1121 code. My guess is it checks if a sequence of four is correct, and if you've pressed the water patches before, the correct sequence might have started not at the start of a four sequence? I finally somehow got it to work, but then the yellow one wouldn't fall from the tree any more. So I redid it starting with the yellow one and finally accessed the graveyard where I failed to figure out the last puzzle...
Didn't see any extra clue, but I'm currently playing without sound so that might be the reason why.
Last thing, if pouncing diagonally is never used in the game, maybe remove it, as it makes you look everywhere for a spot to use it, and whenever you find one, it doesn't work. (I guess it internally tries two orthogonal jumps and needs a solid mid point ground tile ?)

P#142676 2024-03-09 05:20

I can't figure out the very last puzzle (or what I assume is the last one, the

one at the gravestone. What does it mean? Is this the end of the game?)

P#142678 2024-03-09 07:26

@Fnorfensuld Did you read the text on the gravestone? It's not very obvious so I added some "text" on the sprite. For a hint: the solution is outside of the graveyard

P#142686 2024-03-09 16:24

@RealShadowCaster I'm not sure what happened with the 1121 code. I put the activator in another function so hopefully it will be more consistent. You also need to hit the banana 3 times now (maybe a 1-long chain was causing issues). Diagonal jumps were not intended and are removed. There is text on the gravestone (see above). good luck! the last puzzle is pretty tricky

P#142687 2024-03-09 16:27

[Please log in to post a comment]