Cart #retromachine-0 | 2024-01-21 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | License: CC4-BY-NC-SA

This is my first game, made mostly for learning purposes, following Lazydevs tutorials and taking snippets of code here and there from the community.

There are five levels to complete before times runs out. Each time you crash into another car you lose 3 seconds. You will lose control of the car for a short while if you drive onto an oil stain.
Bonus points are awarded for each overtaking after you pass 10 cars without accidents and without getting oil stains.

Controls:

use arrow keys to accellerate (up) ad to steer right/left.

Credits:

this game took me a while, so I can't remember where I took what.. I can only give credits to Lazydevs and all the beautiful pico-8 community!
intro tune is an adaptation of "Drug deal music theme" from GTA Vice city, converted using denote (https://bikibird.itch.io/denote).

P#140391 2024-01-21 15:21

This is a really good and well made game!

P#140667 2024-01-26 20:12

Really cool flashback for me to Road Fighter, awesome little first project!

Played it not so long ago, if you are interested in a little more detailed feedback!

P#141754 2024-02-21 22:17

Hi @psicolabile - A lovely fun little game. I enjoyed playing it, but I'd have liked to have missiles to clear the other annoying drivers out of the way :)

A few comments:

• Ice seems harder than "lights out"
  • When I won the game, I couldn't see my score. Slightly frustrating after all that effort.
  • The highscore didn't update on the front page
  • When I started my next game, my score was from the previous game.
P#141775 2024-02-22 13:12

wow!
@Achie72 I never would have expected such an accurate video review! thank you very much for your feedback and suggestions!! I specially like the car-shadow idea, that is very effective.. I didn't realise it would have been so easy to implement!!

Road fighter was a game I completely fell in love with in the arcades back in the days, but recreating it was (and still is) way beyond my programming abilities, mostly because of the pattern-based way in which computer cars behave, so my actual intention was to somehow recreate something similar to Sega Monaco GP (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=shQWfCbKnjk), an earlier arcade from 1979 that had computer cars behaving in a much simplier way (basically bouncing horizontally when they hit road boudaries).

I'm glad you liked my effort. Thanks!

@phil Thank you very much for your feedback and positive comments!! I'm sorry about the score/highscore issues, I know it's frustrating to complete a game and not be promped the score you achieved. These are definitely things that sooner or later need to be fixed..

an image of Sega Monaco GP:

P#141869 2024-02-24 12:51

[Please log in to post a comment]