A short story sets off a grand adventure of arcady, platform-hopping fun in an increasingly unstable world.
This is my submission for Ludum Dare 49, Theme: "Unstable"
Left/Right: Move character
Up/Down: Slow down or Speed up the platforms
Note: you can press ENTER and SKIP TUTORIAL if you'd like to start the game at level 12
As the levels progress, various aspects of the game begin to breakdown...
(try to reach at least level 11 to see the full instability)
First, your permanent platforms start to crumble. Then, the walls give way while dead-pixels fill your screen. Even your character isn't immune to the madness. By level 11, the game has fully broken down and you play like this for as long as possible. There are bits of story sprinkled throughout, all the way to level 300+.
Here are some examples of later stages:
- Platforms crumble faster as the levels wear on.
- More and more dead pixels will fill the screen as the levels progress.
- The storyline loosely progresses all the way past level 300! I don't expect anyone to make it this far, however it is there for the intrepid - and talented - soul.
- Version 2 | October 6 2021 | stability_failing_ld49-2
-- Extend starting platform size
-- Add menu option to skip the tutorial
-- Increased platform fadeaway time from 103 to 133 (eases difficulty of earlier levels)
-- Increased minimum platform fadeaway time from 20 to 30 (eases difficulty of later levels)
-- Bugfix horizontal movement
--- reduce horizontal speed on platforms
--- reduce slipperiness of platforms (add stick on first contact with a platform)
-- Bugfix vertical movement
--- disallow the false double jump
--- formalize coyote jumping
-- Bugfix platform collision
--- normalize player position on first contact with a platform
- Version 1 | October 4 2021 | stability_failing_ld49-1
-- Title screen!
-- Generative music on the title screen
-- Many quality of life changes
--- hide text when player reaches mid-height
--- starting platform normalization when spawned near walls
-- Additional SFX added & remastered existing SFX
--- SFX added for holding up/down
-- New cart cover photo
-- Revised tutorial & built out storyline through level 300+
- Version 0 | October 3 2021 | stability_failing_ld49-0
-- Initial release
How far can you get? Post your highest level reached in the comments :)
Neat game! I enjoy the minimalist and glitchy aesthetic. My PB is level 29 & 263 platforms, 1 off on both fields compared to your PB, professir! ;u; The later levels are pretty tiiiight!
@Notester82 nice run! Thanks for the kind words.
I've added a menu item to SKIP TUTORIAL if you'd like to start at the later levels.
Version 2 Released
- Added menu item to SKIP TUTORIAL: starts game at level 12
- Added menu item to PLAY TUTORIAL: starts game at level 1
- Reduced slipperiness of platforms
- Increased the starting platform size
- Slightly increased platform fadeaway time
- Bugfix movement and block collision
[Please log in to post a comment]