It's a start! Well done for creating your first game and publishing it!
Your game has some nice touches. I like the detail of the rocket's engines firing. How about a sound effect for when this happens? You have different speed rocks - this is good too.
I would set yourself some small goals to improve this such as :
- have a starfield as the background
- when you thrust, particles come out the back of the rocket
- maybe the rocks could animate ?
- implement a high-score feature
- different types of enemies
- an energy bar
You may be interested in the Shmup tutorial by @Krystman . Whilst not exactly what you have written here, he has lessons teaching you how to add backgrounds and other effects. See: https://www.lexaloffle.com/bbs/?tid=47630 (episode 7 in particular)
Good luck - hope you continue making Pico-8 cartridges
[Please log in to post a comment]