The Cat's Meow
You are a kid named Lily, who has been hired by Muffie to get her café business started.
The café is almost ready to open, but she needs an interesting menu to draw in a crowd.
She requests you to find three exotic coffee beans to give her drinks a unique flavour.
Each one of these coffee beans lie at the end of tough gauntlets.
Can you brave the challenges and make her dream a reality?
After you've beaten the game, why not give the other modes a go?
Z/C - Jump
X - Run
Arrow keys - Move
- Chopin's Nocturne (Op.9, No.2)
- Sonic 3 Chrome Gadget
- Katy Parry's E.T.
- 8-bit Guy Junk Keyboard Theme
- Nerdy Teachers (introduced me to pico8 in general)
- PrincessChooChoo (helped me with the sine wave code)
- The Pico8 Discord
- All sound and graphics resources were used up 100%
- Ending image was stored as a text string
This caught me by surprise! I was just passing by and decided to give it a quick go and move on, but I'll certainly come back later to play this for real!
Good taste for including that Chrome Gadget music in the mechanical area. And Katy Perry's E.T. in the water area lol.
Patch 1.01 is live! Check it out!
- Changed 5 rooms in the Laboratory
- Changed one room in the Cigarette Caves
- Changed one room in the Underwater
- Changed one room in the hub area
- Now you don't have to reset if you fail a perfect challenge
- A fanfare should now play if you complete a perfect challenge
- Changed the appearances of the conveyor belts
This game has a VVVVVV-style vibe that I really like! The music adaptations were cool, gameplay was solid, graphics were adorable, and visual effects were really cool! I liked how each area had different controls or interactive objects, like the conveyor belts or water jumps, and things like the smoking cigarettes damaging you were an awesome blend of graphics and gameplay.
I was expecting to talk to the cat and get coffee to drink after each new bean (maybe even giving you powerups like being able to run faster or breathe underwater), but that's more of a metroidvania trope. For a smaller game, this was a lot of fun! Great work here!
[Please log in to post a comment]