This is a demake of the infuriating "Beaver Bother" minigame from Donkey Kong 64. The minigame was a particular source of torment to Hbomberguy, a YouTuber who recently ran a wildly successfully charity livestream of him completing Donkey Kong 64 to raise money for the UK charity Mermaids, who support trans children and their parents. I created this to celebrate.
For everyone unfamiliar with PICO-8, the [O] button is Z on the keyboard and the [X] button is X.
It's still not quite there, but it's playable and almost as frustrating as the original so I think it's worth sharing.
- Sound. I'm really bad at music, so my attempts so far have been pretty miserable.
- Z-sort the mobs.
- Beaver self-preservation. Beavers should try to avoid the hole when not being chased.
- Make "scaring" useful. It's currently purely cosmetic. (Although it's unclear what function it plays in the original either...)
- Visual effects for beavers appearing.
- Better visual effects for beavers falling down the hole.
- Actually draw the walls of the barrel, rather than just lots of black circles.
- Make the beaver spawn rate more consistent so you can't just get unlucky with it.
[Please log in to post a comment]