Cart #beaver_bother-0 | 2019-03-07 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | License: CC4-BY-NC-SA

This is a demake of the infuriating "Beaver Bother" minigame from Donkey Kong 64. The minigame was a particular source of torment to Hbomberguy, a YouTuber who recently ran a wildly successfully charity livestream of him completing Donkey Kong 64 to raise money for the UK charity Mermaids, who support trans children and their parents. I created this to celebrate.

For everyone unfamiliar with PICO-8, the [O] button is Z on the keyboard and the [X] button is X.

It's still not quite there, but it's playable and almost as frustrating as the original so I think it's worth sharing.

TODO:

• Sound. I'm really bad at music, so my attempts so far have been pretty miserable.
  • Z-sort the mobs.
  • Beaver self-preservation. Beavers should try to avoid the hole when not being chased.
  • Make "scaring" useful. It's currently purely cosmetic. (Although it's unclear what function it plays in the original either...)
  • Visual effects for beavers appearing.
  • Better visual effects for beavers falling down the hole.
  • Actually draw the walls of the barrel, rather than just lots of black circles.
  • Make the beaver spawn rate more consistent so you can't just get unlucky with it.
P#62665 2019-03-07 21:10 ( Edited 2019-03-07 21:26)

[Please log in to post a comment]

Follow Lexaloffle:          
Generated 2024-03-28 20:20:20 | 0.009s | Q:14