Cart #ocelotsafari-0 | 2021-04-29 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | No License

welcome to the ocelot safari!

enjoy the ocelots, and do let us know if you find any long-lost relics deep in the jungle :)

instructions

• hold Z to drag things
  • arrow keys to move
  • retrieve the lost gemstone of Tezcatlipoca! some say it’s as far as fvkgl-sbhe meters deep in the jungle!

tips

• we'll leave you some new tools at the initial drop point, if the ocelots steal your gear
  • ocelots can crawl through vines and trees -- they're tricksters!
  • be sure to bring some matches; the nights are long and dark, and who knows what lurks in the jungle...

tutorial

I didn't make the time to make an interactive tutorial, so here's a video instead:

And here's a gif showing how to use each tool:

(light a fire by bumping matches into wood)

good luck in there!

postscript

• This was made for the Ludum Dare 48 compo in 48 hours. (plus minor bugfixes; read changelog here and here). Rate my entry! https://ldjam.com/events/ludum-dare/48/ocelot-safari
  • My initial goal was to make a game exploring how items feel if you have no inventory system or "use item" button, and I'm happy with the results. Sometimes movement can feel a bit awkward, especially at the start, but that's what the whole game is built around, so I think it's fine.
  • I really like how the nighttime and the ocelots make it a visceral struggle to advance deeper and deeper into the jungle.
P#91318 2021-04-29 22:01

i got stuck =(

P#91326 2021-04-30 15:42

I found the gemstone, then I got stuck :(

P#91370 2021-05-01 21:25

Cool game! The awkwardness of having to drag things around is fun to try and work around and ocelots being able to drag your stuff around is kinda funny (and it genuinely helped me get unstuck once, graciously enough). Love the art style as well!

P#99096 2021-10-24 17:34

So enjoyable, I like its simplicity 👌
I've got probably the beginner's luck since I managed to bring the gemstone home at the third attempt. Now I've tried a few more times (to see if it's really that easy) and for some reason I got stuck/dead several times :)
Great job!

P#135802 2023-10-12 16:01

What a wonderful cart. I really enjoyed playing it although it can cause a huge amount of frustration when you get stuck. Its a great idea thats very easy to pick up.

A brilliant effort for a 48 hour game jam but I wish there was a bit more of a reward at the end. I'd love to see this game developed further.

P#135850 2023-10-13 17:11

[Please log in to post a comment]

Follow Lexaloffle:          
Generated 2024-03-29 01:28:06 | 0.012s | Q:26