Cart #stick_electriclemon-0 | 2021-09-02 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | License: CC4-BY-NC-SA

==Controls==
Move Left = Left Arrow Key
Move Right = Right Arrow Key
Jump = X
Stick = Z
Climb Ladder = Up & Down Arrow Keys

STICK is a prototype of a simple platformer idea. The player character uses a walking stick to poke switches and help them make difficult jumps and avoid dangerous terrain. In this case the only dangerous terrains are spikes and falling off the screen.

I also threw in some collectable mushrooms for good measure that add to your score, as well as a timer that will give you a % bonus to your score if you're quick enough.

It's short, and has some occasional wonkiness which I'll be ironing out. But I'd love to get feedback regarding how the controls feel, especially opinions about the fact that I made the player character snap to grid in the x dimension, which I realize is an unusual choice for a platformer.

UPDATE 1.01: Thanks everyone for the feedback. I updated the stick jump controls, they should be a lot easier to time the jumps now because the stick will now remain pointing down once the initial swing is complete. Also added the tap-to-turnaround-in-place function. Previously the player would move one tile if left or right was tapped. Lastly, the bridge level has been reworked(it was hastly put together the first time).

Please let me know what else is needed to tighten it up more and I'll try implementing it in the next update!

Also if anyone knows how to change which cart version is displayed by default, please let me know in the comments :)

ElectricLemon

P#96804 2021-09-02 20:31 ( Edited 2021-09-04 17:24)

I found it fun and challenging in the right dose

P#96812 2021-09-03 00:51

can’t get past second screen - the jump timing on the top small platform is too difficult for me 🤷‍♂️

P#96818 2021-09-03 08:33

It's a neat mechanic, but I found the timing hard to get, and eventually resorted to spamming the stick button and hoping to hit at the right time. I'm wondering if I would notice if the sound cues for the stick could changed depending on whether I was pressing too early in a jump (poking empty air) or too late (the stick would have connected, but I already hit the spikes...)

I did reach the end, but only by sometimes leaving and re-entering an area to save its state after pressing a button or collecting a mushroom.

With respect to the X movement, there were times I wanted to turn around without stepping sideways. If you keep the moving in blocks, could you make it so tapping an arrow just turns the character around without taking a step?

Still a creating approach to platforming, and I like the visual style to both the character and the landscape.

P#96829 2021-09-03 13:39

Thanks everyone for trying the game and the feedback.

Cowirrie, I added the tap-to-turn-around function in the new version. I don't know yet how to make the new version be displayed here so I created a new post with it here: https://www.lexaloffle.com/bbs/?tid=44505

Also, the stick jump controls should be a lot more forgiving now too :)

P#96872 2021-09-04 17:39

I am trying to make a game myself and I was wondering how you did the camera switch between game screens

P#97904 2021-09-28 01:54

[Please log in to post a comment]

Follow Lexaloffle:          
Generated 2024-03-28 16:34:40 | 0.012s | Q:25