To enter, you have to make a Single room containing a Single enemy ( A boss mainly ).

Judges are everyone. ( Even yourself ).

You must also say WHY you gave this mark. ( SO that way we know you aren't giving low mark for no reasons )

Here are the critera:

-Originality. ( 5 ladder scale ) PS: attack style etc.. THE LOOK
-Difficulty ( 5 ladder scale ) PS: a too easy or too hard boss = bad score.
-Pattern ( 5 ladder scale ) PS: a repeated pattern boss is VERY annoying .
-Movement ( 5 ladder scale ) If your boss have fast attack without warning or some annoying movements ( attack ) this makes him lose points here.

Top5:
-Nautilus. 70%
-Miniature Photon Unit 53%

• xxx
  • xxx
  • xxx

I'll start to give an Exemple:

Boss name: Nautilus

Cart #8411 | 2014-01-25 | Embed ▽ | No License

-Originality: 4/5. He looks awsome, it's a nice concept we rarely see this, also the attacks are very well done none of them are messed up.

Difficulty: 4/5. Not that hard, not that easy. the difficulty may depends on what kind of player you are, since it requires didging and interpretation skill.

Pattern: 4.5/5. This boss have 5 attacks that are all very different. there's also the fairy bomb that makes this boss amost patternless.

-Movement. 4/5. Low speed makes this boss a very balanced boss, since he have alot of health and his attacks requires time and are mainly strong. All attacks have very decent warning.

Total review of Nautilus I: 16.5 / 20 --- 82.5%

P#8404 2014-01-24 15:02 ( Edited 2014-02-02 02:02)

So here's my boss, Type-47;

I think it's pretty bad, but you guys can check him out.

Attack Rundown;

Charge: charges at you
Shoot: shoots electric bolts
Electrospawn: creates electrobug minions
Cannon: shoots electric fireballs at you
V 2.0 (2nd phase): Moves at twice the speed

Scores:
2/5 on originality
He's basically just a death machine.

4/5 on difficulty
He can be pretty hard, depending on your skill level. Yet, he also has 5 attacks.

3/5 on pattern
Eh, there isn't really a specified pattern for this guy, he just decides which to shoot at when to shoot.

4/5 on movement
He's pretty slow at first, yet once you lower his health, he will speed up. also, the electrobugs make up for his lack of speed.

I also might use him for my next map.

Well, that's it. hope you like it.

P#8406 2014-01-24 22:47 ( Edited 2014-01-25 03:47)

I might give you a review of your boss:

1st of al I must retrieve 2 points at the beginning here's why:

-My boss has 2 weapons, left ones shoots 5 bullets 1 after the other, right one shoots a spread, your does the same.
-My boss uses a " speed boost " sometimes, your does the same.
-My boss Have a animation ( burning "head") when is low health, your too ( kinda crappy tough no offense :p )

( -2 Total points because your boss is about 70% a copy of mine )

Originality 2/5. A robot, we see this everywhere.
Difficulty 3/5. He is not that hard once you get how to dodge is main attack ( bullets )
Pattern 2.5/5. He is patterned, Since you only have to watch the boss and not take care of what actions he will do nor what position you have to take to dodge his attack.
Movement: 1.5/5. There were no warning at all ( -2 ) + is animation ( also " not animation " on low health ) were kind of crappy ( no offense here ).

9/20 -2 = 7/20 = 35%

Here's a advice, Create something new for your boss He will gain lots of points on originality and movement ( Dont make splitting bombs or teleporting they are already used ) Also, try to make something new that you haven't seen before. Dont " copy " people work, This would also give you points ( I mean points but also you'll have more self-respect ). And also Learn to use warning, it's a crucial point in monster editing. Also makes sure he dont uses 2 attack at the same time ( Some attack can be 2 at same time but special ones ( I used this with bombs for instance )) By putting attack in the same group,

With all those you could easily scale to 70% +

P#8407 2014-01-24 23:59 ( Edited 2014-01-25 05:06)

sorry about that blind, i was using nautilus like a canvas, so that i would know how to make the different weapons and stuff.

P#8408 2014-01-25 00:01 ( Edited 2014-01-25 05:01)

It,s cool man, The boss was still nice ! I'm just always using a professional point of vue, dont be sorry .

Pssss.... I'm also trying to put life on forum!

EDIT: You can still rate my boss !

Here's another " canvas " It's also a boss in one of my map, he is different from nautilus tough he has a creative attack, but only 3 attack with a second phase ( faster and stronger main attack )

Cart #8412 | 2014-01-25 | Embed ▽ | No License

P#8409 2014-01-25 00:07 ( Edited 2014-01-25 05:19)

Cool, i might check that out later, right now I'm kinda like working on this one level about a robot apocalypse.

P#8413 2014-01-25 02:40 ( Edited 2014-01-25 07:40)

Hey, Mind if I join?

Cart #8415 | 2014-01-26 | Embed ▽ | No License

I have kinda stopped working on Voxatron levels until 0.2.10 comes out (I still have Starship Combat on the mind, and it's hard to work on "The Trouble with Cloning" when I still have Starship Combat on the mind!), but I think this is a good way to dink with the monster editor a bit more.

I am aware that this boss will not please everyone, because some people are stuck to a certain algorithm and do not appreciate new ideas to boss attacks/behaviour (No offense, Blinddevil). This is so far the best thing I can come up with without pertaining too much to any Starship Combat Bosses. Sorry for any inconvenience.

P#8416 2014-01-26 13:46 ( Edited 2014-01-26 18:46)

Your boss is great ! It's original I think

Originality: 3.5/5 A non moving turret based boss, Nice !
Difficulty: 3.5/5 Was rather hard to jusge this but I'll give it this mark.
Pattern: 1/5. This boss was really patterned but still nice !
Movement: X/5I cannot count this in since he's not moving or has any animation.

8/15 = 53% !

P#8417 2014-01-26 15:15 ( Edited 2014-01-26 20:15)

One of the main problems was the "Boom attack" where the boss spits out a cloud of bullets in a ring formation. I cannot seem to be able to randomize the "magnitude" and therefore, the bullets will always land in the same area every time it fires.

Also, the boss has minimal animation, it has a 2-frame idle animation and a 4-frame "Rage" animation (when the boss is almost dead, it starts blinking red, kind of like your "green" boss (except it blinks :P))

As for Nautilus:

Originality: 2/5 I've seen it in the psychidelia realms before, it also sorta goes along a template I have seen for many of your bosses
Difficulty: 3/5 It is fairly decent.
Pattern: 2.5/5 The "bombs" definitely varied, but all the other attacks seemed to go on the same long timespan.
Movement/Animation: 3/5 It definitely has its style, it even coordinates it's attacks by which side it lights up on! I think...

10.5/20 = 52.5%

Using your professional style or rating is kind of awkward, but I can manage.

P#8418 2014-01-27 08:07 ( Edited 2014-01-27 13:07)

You did well rating it, but you got all wrong on originality.

Originality isn't based on the player who created it. I mean, you can't judge the originality by the fact I used it in 1 of my level and also can't judge this one player style :p

I'll count you difficulty,pattern, and movement ! I think you're right.

SO.. 8.5/15 = 57% + 82% =139% /2 =70%

P#8419 2014-01-27 08:58 ( Edited 2014-01-27 13:58)

As I said, it's kind of awkward to me. Sorry about that.

P#8420 2014-01-27 10:43 ( Edited 2014-01-27 15:43)

Yeah probably, How woud you do it ? I'm interested

P#8421 2014-01-27 11:32 ( Edited 2014-01-27 16:32)

Aaagh, I have to juggle so many games in my free time! Sorry about the delay.

My Rating criteria may go as follows:

Creativity - This is the overall idea, what is the story behind this monster/boss? What is so interesting about it's features? Does it look cool, or does it strike fear into you? This could be based off of originality, but there is a bit more to it than most would think, you should also add things you haven't seen before that this boss/monster used.

Difficulty - same as yours

Fun - How fun was it to fight this boss/monster? This goes for all definitions of fun, Short and sweet, long and epic, bullet-hell-type bosses, ANYTHING that amounts to your type of fun!

Effort - How much time do you think was spent on this monster/boss? Does it deserve the best, or is it just something quick thrown in there?

All of these are also out of 5, to keep things simple.

If I were to rate my boss on this method:

Creativity: 5/5 - I don't think anyone has made a turret-based boss where there has been a CONSTANT ATTACK before (The lasers that spin around and then get harder when the boss is damaged).

Difficulty: 2/5 - It honestly isn't that difficult, it is easy to dodge the "aerial bullets" and jump around that spinning laser.

Fun: 3/5 - It's good for a short while, but then it DOES get a bit boring the more times you play it.

Effort: 2/5 - I admit it only took 2 days to make this boss, so not much was thrown in to make it look it's best.

That is 12/20 which means this could've gotten 60%

If I rated your boss on this scale:

Creativity: 3/5 Most of your bosses follow a template, so I've seen, however the stunning graphics does have an effect.

Difficulty: 3/5 it is fairly decent with the fast bullets and amount of bombs.

Fun: 2/5 I've actually seen better bosses made by you, the super computer in the last unicorn is by far the best I've seen for this category!

Effort: 3/5 This is considering the fact you made this for your psychedelia realms level. I think you really have made effort in this when you first made him, but it does seem easy to just copy-paste bosses from your already made levels in here. Still, I shouldn't be too biased, this probably took more than I thought to make.

That is 11/20, making it 55% (Which is not much, granted, but improvement is always good!)

That is at least how I rate things, everyone has a different way of rating. You don't have to stick to my rating system, I'm just showing how I usually rate things (given the chance).

P#8422 2014-01-31 14:14 ( Edited 2014-01-31 19:14)

I like your critera, but as I said, creativity you are all wrong. You canot rate creativity based on the artist past enemy's ... also, you boss creativity is not 5/5 defenatly not. You boss is a turret ( yeah I never saw a " turret boss " ) but it's not really creative, since there's alot of turret type monster, and also none of his attack are original :p so defenatly not a 5/5 ( anyway it's impossible in real life to get a 5/5 on ANYTHING IN THE WORLD that would means PERFECTION IN ANY ASPECT.

Also, everyone can agree that overall my boss is atleast 2 times funnier then your boss. What i'm tryng to say is that your is not looking good, as a very patterned attack and doesn't move, it doesn't require skill to kill ( no hate there :p it's still fun !).

Dont worry if all I say seems depreciative :) I am always like this, but I try to state fact and not judgement :). Based on your kind of rating I'll now make a new type of " competition " thanks !

P#8423 2014-01-31 17:42 ( Edited 2014-01-31 22:42)

My rating system is NOT on realistic proportions. Everyone's point of view on perfect is skewed and seemingly wrong to anyone else's point of view, I see myself as a motivator, I want to encourage the future work because of certain things I find interesting, I do not give statistics on what is favorable in what I see to be the best gameplay that all levels must defer to (No offense, again). My rating system is drastically different.

The reason I gave 5/5 creativity for my boss is that I have never seen anyone do a turret boss like the one I did before. If I were someone else, at least that would be the rating I would give me, the creator of the boss. It is an example and therefore does not count, I didn't expect you to accept it, and this is fine by me, I am only showing how MY rating system works.

P#8427 2014-02-01 21:02 ( Edited 2014-02-02 02:02)

[Please log in to post a comment]

Follow Lexaloffle:          
Generated 2024-03-28 11:14:38 | 0.015s | Q:35